AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got myself an AK. I got a M92 because of the compactness and because of my interactions with them in Iraq and East Africa.

Got a Zastava M92 "Alpha"

IMG_2340.JPG IMG_2263.JPG

My quest is to eventually SBR it.
I originally just wanted a Yugo underfolder (found one for $199 with trunnion)
pix127557311.jpg
But i've seen that people have high regard for CNC Warrior (154.99) and it's an easier install
26436-4 (1).jpg
Or should i just do a russian east german side folder? (89$-ish)
pix196711505.jpg

What are some pros and cons? I know cnc will probably be the most ergonomic

·
Technical Advisor
15,526 Posts
The right side folder will require an AKM rear trunnion, trimming the receiver a bit and welding up some rivet holes.
The CNC is the easiest install with only drilling a hole in the existing rear block in the M92.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
If you go the Yugo underfolder style (after you receive form 1 stamp) the M92 already has a virgin trunnion installed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But i will still have to drill through the trunnion, correct? So i might as well get a trunnion with the Yugo underfolder stock, right?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
You can go the route of swapping out the virgin rear trunnion for the one that's shown in the picture above with the underfolder. However, that will require you to drill out the rivets for the virgin trunnion that's currently installed, swap in the other trunnion and rerivet the new one. Plus, you'd still have to make the cuts in the receiver for the underfolder.

From a correctness standpoint, the underfolder is probably better. From a functionality, comfort and ease of assembly standpoint, the CNC Warrior is the way to go. Here's mine. I love the way it turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Do people have a guy they send their rifles too, for SBR work? I rather have an AK guy do it than a local gunsmith that has only done ARs. Or am i wrong with this thought process? I just don't have the tools and space at the moment (all in storage).

You can go the route of swapping out the virgin rear trunnion for the one that's shown in the picture above with the underfolder. However, that will require you to drill out the rivets for the virgin trunnion that's currently installed, swap in the other trunnion and rerivet the new one. Plus, you'd still have to make the cuts in the receiver for the underfolder.

From a correctness standpoint, the underfolder is probably better. From a functionality, comfort and ease of assembly standpoint, the CNC Warrior is the way to go. Here's mine. I love the way it turned out.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Matt Yeamans/Turbothis/My Guns Northwest or Two Rivers for the UF conversion. Probably about $150 to machine out the receiver/trunion.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Thanks, Do people have a guy they send their rifles too, for SBR work? I rather have an AK guy do it than a local gunsmith that has only done ARs. Or am i wrong with this thought process?
You are absolutely spot on to send it to someone that specializes in AK's. There's a lot to know. You don't want someone to learn on the job using your AK. I 2nd Two Rivers Arms. They specialize in Yugo AK's. Adding an underfolder to an AK with a virgin underfolding rear trunnion is more of an advanced conversion, so you should get help if you don't have experience. Adding the side folder adapter that I used to make the one pictured above wasn't too difficult. If you can drill and thread a hole, you can do it.
Tools.jpg
Setup 1.jpg
Setup 2.jpg
Setup 3.jpg
Setup 4.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I going with a Yugo stock on this build. I just like how tight the yugo stock folds up and I love the underfolder look and function. CNC warrior was quite tempting, though.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I was going to have the triangle side folder installed on mine but glad I went with the factory underfolder. I think you will appreciate it more.

·
Technical Advisor
15,526 Posts
Genetally fit closes cleanly on a cartridge it poses no problem.
I do not have Clymer gauges.
But I have owned and built a couple that had tight headspace.
Excess headspace being bigger issue generally.

Firing and inspecting brass a good idea and monitoring in the future.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine seems okay. I've only put a few rounds through it. I haven't had time to go to the range and have a real go with it. I need to get into the books about head spacing and general operating system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my 4 rivet underfolder yesterday.
I have two questions:
1. What is the gray finish, what is the best method to match the metal fot eh rifle? Right now it a grey, like it's been media blasted?
2. I need the rest of the hardware. I assume the rest of the hardware mounting bracket/hinge is Yugo specific, right? Any good sources to obtain this?

IMG_9100.JPG

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Don't know about the finish. It appears to either be parkerized grey or bare. It would have been better to buy everything you need in factory newish condition so that you wouldn't have to worrry about matching the finish. I don't know if the pricing is competative, but here's what would have been the parts to buy.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/832934754
Note that the rear trunnion included is a virgin rear trunnion. You really wouldn't need it, but it came with the package.

That said, here's what you need now.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838414004
Again, I don't know if the price is competative (search GunBroker history).

YUGO_Dave, you really need to try the CIP gauges. If the headspace is tight it can be fixed. Mine was too tight as well, but that was years ago. I have step by step instructions if you need them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts