AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cbs13.com/local/zodiac.killer.ka ... 05799.html

Zodiac Killer's Identity And Weapon Uncovered?
Local Man: Zodiac Killer Was My Stepfather

Update On Evidence Investigated By FBI

Kris Pickel SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― The Zodiac Killer murdered several people, terrorizing the Bay Area and taunting police in the 60's and 70's. The FBI confirmed to CBS13 on Thursday that they are now running laboratory tests on some items that may link a suspect to the killer.

The evidence was given to the FBI by a Pollock Pines man who also claims he recently found the disguise worn by the Zodiac Killer during one of his attacks.

"The identity of the Zodiac Killer is Jack Tarrance. He's my stepfather," said Dennis Kaufman.

Eight years of Dennis Kaufman's life has been consumed with attempting to prove the only father he's known since he was five-years-old is none other than the Zodiac Killer.

"This is a handwriting comparison I did," Kaufman said, showing handwriting samples of what he claims to be his stepfather's and the Zodiac Killer's. He claims the samples are too similar to be coincidence.

"The composite is a dead ringer," Kaufman said, showing composite sketch of the killer next to his stepfather's -- a resemblance that is undeniable between pictures of Jack Tarrance and descriptions of the zodiac.

Kaufman also claims his stepfather, in a taped phone conversation, indirectly admitted being the zodiac killer.

Jack Tarrance died in 2006. Kaufman said that while going through Tarrance's belongings, he made some disturbing finds. One piece of evidence he plans to turn over to the FBI is a knife still covered with what could possibly be dried blood.

"It could be a knife he barbecued with or a knife he murdered someone with," Kaufman said.

Jack also left behind rolls of undeveloped film which will also be turned over to the FBI. On the one roll Kaufman did develop, there were gruesome images.

"[It] appeared to be people who were murdered," he explained.

Just recently, Kaufman remembered his stepfather asking him several times about an old PA system, which led him to take it apart.

"When I first opened it up that did affect me. My heart skipped a couple of beats when I saw it," he said.

The material folded and tucked inside, Kaufman believes, may unmask the zodiac killer.

"It was a black hood with a zodiac on it," Kaufman said.

It's similar to the hood worn during the vicious 1968 Lake Berryessa attack, which could be key evidence connecting his stepfather to the killings. He also believes there are dozens of additional victims which were never linked to the Zodiac, including Kaufman's own mother, who he claims was suffocated.

"She sat there and told me Jack was trying to kill her and I didn't listen. I can only imagine how she felt. Imagine how scary that would be. That is what kept me going this whole time," he said.

The FBI confirmed they are running DNA tests on items that Kaufman gave them.

Kaufman said there are letters sent to him by his stepfather, and authorities are trying to get DNA profile of Jack Tarrance to compare to the Zodiac Killer. The FBI told CBS13 they could get those results back any day.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The girl killed at Lake Berryessa was a friend of my sister.

They both attended Pacific Union College a few miles away.

Be nice to see it finally closed.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I think that was Jack Palance

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Both wrong.....wiki says Jack Torrance

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Must be terrible to find out the only father figure you've ever known turns out to be a brutal serial killer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
CGSteve said:
Must be terrible to find out the only father figure you've ever known turns out to be a brutal serial killer.
If that was the case I just wouldn't claim him. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be associated with someone like that,regardless of how he was related to me. JMHO. :neutral:

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An interesting bit of trivia: there is an unsolved murder going back to 1949 in this area. A local girl was raped and murdered and the cover-up supposedly involved some very high state officials.

One of the law enforcement officers even died under mysterious circumstances while claiming he could crack the case.

In 2006 the son of that law enforcement officer wrote a book from the guy's notes and named the killer.

It's my parents' real estate agent that sold them their land!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Years ago there was a miserable bastard in my town that abducted a young girl while she was delivering newpapers, raped and brutalized her, when the news got out about his capture and identification my mother called me and asked me if I had seen the news. I told her I was busy and hadn't been watching, she told me that he was distant cousin of mine that I had played with as a child. He was my great-grandmother's nephew, quite distant...I don't remember him at all and have nearly all but forgotten about it.
I do remember the shocked feeling of knowing someone that "close" as far as being family could commit such a hienous crime. I finally came to realize that everyone that commits these crimes is someone's family member, and when it all comes down to it...it can be literally anyone.
As far as going public with the information...No Thanks, I'd give the FBI all they needed to conclude their investigation and let it go at that. However, there is always the case of someone that is considered a "crackpot" by the officials, and the individual is absolutely sure that the information they have is pertainent, going public to the news media is often the only way to finally get the official investigation carried out.

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
Eight years of Dennis Kaufman's life has been consumed with attempting to prove the only father he's known since he was five-years-old is none other than the Zodiac Killer.
I believe that ol' Dennis has some serious "step daddy issues" and has convinced himself that his step father is the zodiak.

my take on it, it will amount to the same conclusion as the big foot body. move along folks nothing to see here but a guy with some mental health issues

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
Caligula said:
I believe that ol' Dennis has some serious "step daddy issues" and has convinced himself that his step father is the zodiak.

my take on it, it will amount to the same conclusion as the big foot body. move along folks nothing to see here but a guy with some mental health issues
Yep!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I did a little search online at a site devoted to the Zodiac murders and they are convinced Kaufman is a con man trying to cash in while getting back at his step father.
In fact one of the members, a well known and respected Zodiac investigator (non-LE) claimed that Kaufman tried to sell him what he claimed was a bloody piece of clothing from one of the victims--- for $50K. According to the same person Kaufman later claimed he did no such thing despite the e-mails he sent being presented to prove otherwise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm from this area. The case is still talked about a lot. I doubt this is the actual killer. Several things don't fit.

1. Film that he developed. I doubt 40 year old film can still be developed.
2. Pollock pines is a great distance from where the murders took place.
3. That story about the old PA system is complete BS.
4. The hood that he showed looked brand new. A fiber analysis will quickly show that the guy made it. It was clean and not dusty.
5. Just about everyone has a knife with rust on it. Blood rusts after 40 years. Also anyone who cuts raw meat with a knife gets blood on it.
6. The un developed film he showed was 35 mm in plastic cases. I wasn't around back then but I dont think the film was being stored in black cases.

This guy is a loser who wants attention. Every couple of years someone claims they have discovered who the Zodiac killer was. This has been the most ridiculous claim.

Shame on the news station for running this story. They should have contacted the police and FBI instead of airing evidence, and possibly contaminating it just for ratings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay, so you can see the actual videos on their website. This is complete BS. The guy says he devoted 8 years to proving his stepdad was the zodiac killer. His step dad died in 2006 an he had the guy creamated without collecting DNA. More on those cameras, there were disposable ones that you buy at the store.

If the guy thought his stepdad had murdered his mom and was the zodiac, he should have contacted the police 6 years before he died.

All of this evidence looks like BS. Murders are not solved this way. Pollock pines is a good 75 miles away from the closest murder. Not very likely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts