AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have acquired 2 ZFK 4 scopes. One has a B prefix serial number so from what I’ve seen should have been made in 1989 like my EG 74 kit. I also have one that is unmarked. I thought maybe someone glued a plate over the markings, but I believe the Model and serial number were never stamped. The spot appears to have never been milled down. My question is if it would be end of production after reunification or possibly exported to Poland when they were experimenting with the ZFK 4 on the Tantal.

On a side note I’m getting an og barrel ‘89 Tantal kit and was wondering if anyone had a source for a rail that would fit a ZFK 4? I know some were made a while ago, but I feel like i’d have to find a used one.

thanks,

Danny

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s a picture of the unmarked ZFK 4. That silver pad on my other one has been milled down and stamped with a model and serial number.

·
Registered
2 Posts
interesting. Are you sure it's not just some sort of placard glued on it? I ask because the empty place where originally the radioactive symbol decal was mounted is normally coated the same like the rest of the scope. So, if it wouldn't have been milled for some reason it should still be black and not grey like on your scope. Any chance you can get some close-up pictures of the grey parts? I'm really curious when this one was made, unfortunately from what I've seen from comparing early examples to late examples the serial number is the only way to know when it was made.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I obtained my Tantal rail on the other forum. I suspect it is a repro but very well done. Seller was in Poland. It is a pretty heavy piece of metal. I don't recall his ID but I will try to find it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here’s some pictures of the gray areas. I can’t slip a knife blade, my finger nail, or a piece of paper in between the black and gray.

I’d appriciate the info on the rail. AK Builder makes a clone rail. I don’t know how authentic it is though

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Very professional modification on that scope base. I don't know who did it but "retasked for Poland" sounds quite plausible since Tantals were in production when the wall came down.

The user ID of the rail seller in Poland was xxxFencexxx. He has not signed on since 2017. I looked through my pms there but could not locate any info on my dealings with him.

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for looking. I’ll probably go with the AKB rail. The pictures look pretty similar. I also don’t think there’s any other option. I figured this scope would be a good one for a Tantal. I find it very odd its unmarked or markings filled in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found a picture of another zfk without any serial number that was sold a few months ago on another forum. From looking at it I assume it is the same one?

My guess it is a very late production post-reunification build in 1991. The reason I don't think it went to poland is because the ZFK scopes normally have a small radioactive symbol decal in the round spot on the mount. However, when they were surplussed by germany they removed the tritium and the decals. So I assume that if it went to poland it would still have the radioactive decal on it. I don't think we'll ever know for sure

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its probably the same one if a few months ago is around 6-8 months ago. End of production was my other theory. I’m sure we’ll never really know. Its a weird one alright

1 - 9 of 9 Posts