AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many have seen already this offer from AIM:

ZASTAVA M77 PS .308 Rifle

Anyone already or considering buying and converting? I am and generally piqued. Thoughts appreciated.-Marco

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just ordered 1 from Cheaper than Dirt for about 550.00 free ship.
These are Yugoslav made(The Yugoslavian people are some of the most educated people in Europe as a general rule), hammer forged barrel, good trig out of the box, reinforced receiver. These guys became famous building the superb Mauser 8MM WW2 military rifle, not new kid on the block. This basic rifle has been around but as the European 8mm, sniper is M76.
Uses 14x1 LH for muzzle brake. Cap is spot welded on/1 small spot, but weld was made easy to remove with file or Dremel tool.
With it's 19 1/2" barrel, I just ordered a Tabuk muzzle brake, like on Dragunov Sniper. This puppy should shoot MOA.
Can't wait.
Why convert? The .308 is equivalent/shortened 30-06 which is equivalent to 7.62X54Rimmed(Russian)
Easy to get ammo as our military uses it. Great hunting cartridge as well even up to Bear/Moose with 175Gr. Effective in set up with Tabuk to 800yd, to 1thousand for expert
Buy ammo, by searching for 7.62x51, not 308.
What I wonder is what do you need to do to convert M1A1/M14 20/25rd mags to this rifle, I know it is done, guess I'll have to visual when I get it.
Went to Kalinka optics and order Low Centering SVD type Side Mount weaver mount with side rail on mount for red dot lazer.
Oh boy!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 410 skeeter. Ive been eyeing AKs in 308 for some time and the PAP platform has impressed me. The set up has me thinking about a poly full stock and PG set up. But to use it with some good optics, may be better as is! Decisions!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saw that and BINGO!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts