AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new here. My uncle is selling 3-4 AK47s, Bushmaster and Colt AR15, and a zastava m90. I get first pick out of the guns and I'd like to make a good decision. Ak47s I believe may be Chinese. I haven't seen them in person. I'm interested in the zastava m90 because from what I understand they aren't too common. Is that a correct understanding of mine?

Ill be honest... I'm not that up to date with firearms. Please take it easy on me. I'm here to learn.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
986 Posts
Get the M90
Chambered in 556, Thick receiver, AK reliability with AR accuracy, Magazines are available.
Really a beautiful rifle IMO.
I have always wanted to get my hands on one, but I am always in the middle of another project.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read elsewhere about determining authenticity...if there is such a thing. I dunno maybe pre-ban, etc... Is there anything I need to look for?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He wanted $800 originally but I got the nephew discount. Have to get the discount if I have to put up with his niece (my wife) lol. Jk!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,787 Posts
I would check and see if the other AKs he has are Chinese or not, and if they are preban, I'd be all over one of those like white on rice.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
If the Egyptian is a Steyr import, it is worth a small fortune as they are the only recognized "pre-ban" Maadis.

Chinese are also in high demand, with the pre-ban 56S, 84S Norincos leading the way, and any Poly Technology rifles even higher. Norinco pre-bans will be marked either 56S or AK-47/S for the 7.62x39, with the 84S being the .223/5.56x45 version. The Poly Techs were marked AKS-762 or AKS-223 for their calibers, with either folding bayonet, or standard slip on and a stamped receiver. If the Poly Tech is a milled receiver with the standard stock set, threaded barrel and bayo lug, marked AK47S would be the Legend model.

Any Chinese is highly collectible since the clinton ban. Pre-Bush1-ban rifles even more so.

Best to find out what is being made available and letting us know the model numbers as stamped either on the trunion or on the left rear of the receiver. That way we could give you a better idea as to what would be a good value, but honestly, any Chinese is a good bet, the Yugo M90 is high on the list, and almost any Maadi would be hard to turn down. (there are some Maadis that should be avoided if possible)

·
Super Moderator
25,787 Posts
If the Egyptian is a Steyr import, it is worth a small fortune as they are the only recognized "pre-ban" Maadis.

Chinese are also in high demand, with the pre-ban 56S, 84S Norincos leading the way, and any Poly Technology rifles even higher. Norinco pre-bans will be marked either 56S or AK-47/S for the 7.62x39, with the 84S being the .223/5.56x45 version. The Poly Techs were marked AKS-762 or AKS-223 for their calibers, with either folding bayonet, or standard slip on and a stamped receiver. If the Poly Tech is a milled receiver with the standard stock set, threaded barrel and bayo lug, marked AK47S would be the Legend model.

Any Chinese is highly collectible since the clinton ban. Pre-Bush1-ban rifles even more so.

Best to find out what is being made available and letting us know the model numbers as stamped either on the trunion or on the left rear of the receiver. That way we could give you a better idea as to what would be a good value, but honestly, any Chinese is a good bet, the Yugo M90 is high on the list, and almost any Maadi would be hard to turn down. (there are some Maadis that should be avoided if possible)
This...pics are best if you can take a few and post them. Keep us posted, because it sounds like you may come away with a great deal and a great rifle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do fellas... Thanks very much. It is very much appreciated. Getting off the boat tomorrow and flying home for the holidays. Currently near New Orleans headed back to Ohio soon. Take care everyone. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
837 Posts

This is good info right here. The only thing I would add is that if said Chinese rifles have the red or black bakelite furniture and a distinctive side-folding stock, they are considered even more valuable by many. I believe that one such designation for these rifles was 56S-2, though since I don't yet own one, that's secondhand info from me.

Basically, I'm saying that if I could get one for $600, I'd take it over the Yugo.

-otus

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Considering I just paid 1400 bucks for one I'd say you'd be getting a hell of a deal. M95's are not too common to begin with but having one cross your path in new minty condition is especially rare. Less than a grand for it is unbeatable.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
I'd see about getting the nephew's discount on the whole works.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts