AK Rifles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a ZPAP M90 the other day and it came with the new Gen 3 Zastava 5.56 magazines. This rifle runs great with absolutely no problems with all my old Zastava Gen 2 5.56 mags and other 5.56 AK mags that fit but the magazine the rifle came with, the new and "improved" Gen 3 is a jam-o-matic. For some reason using this mag the bolt runs over the round and jams up mid way on the case often shoving the bullet back in the case as the round gets jammed up missing the chamber. It's not a problem with the rifle, as it runs on every other mag 100% and it's not short stroking the bolt holds open and this even happens when loading a single round from a locked back bolt.

I've been looking around the net and it seems like lots of other folks are having the same issue with the Gen 3 while everything else runs fine. Even though they look identical to the Gen 2 and other similar mags it just won't function. I'm looking for an update if possible....should all the Zastava Gen 3 5.56 magazines be avoided as it seems that there is an issue? Is it only certain Gen 3s that are having this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try comparing the Gen2 and gen3 mag mounted height with respect to the rifle's inner rails. Check this at the rear of the mag.
It sounds like the gen3 mag sits too low allowing bolt ride over.
The other way to check is to slowly manual cycle and see where the bolt contacts the back of the round in the mag. I recommend using an inert round so it doesn't accidently go thru a wall.
If there's a significant difference Gen 2 to 3, then you either don't use the gen3 or you'd need to modify either the gen3 mag tab (add weld if metal) or lengthen the rifle's mag catch to work with all mags.
I don't have any gen3 mags to compare in my M85

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had issues w/ the gen 3 mag that came w/ my M90. Zastava sent me another one that works. Those polymer mags (especially Gen 3) seem to be very hit or miss. Get some steel Serbian mags. 1000% better.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I haven’t had any issues with gen 3 factory polymer mags in my new M90PS.
No excessive side-side play, good lockup. But just got some factory steel mags and they have zero side-side play. A bit tight front-back, they insert just fine but are dragging a bit around the steel reinforcements on the back on either side of the lug. Not bad enough to take a file to them. All three seem to be dimensionally identical in regards to fit. Steel non-BHO followers and steel baseplate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts