AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took these pictures last year to illustrate the differences between the Yugo "bolt hold-open" steel magazines and common European ones.

Here it is next to a Soviet magazine, manufactured by Izhevsk. You can see that it's bolt hold-open is simply a built-up hump on the follower. The wear from the bolt slamming into the back of the hump can be seen.

Also note that the body has only two horizontal ribs near the bottom instead of the 3 that every other European-style mag has. Chicom mags also have only two ribs near the bottom, but they are longer. The last picture shows the Yugo next to a Chicom.

[/b]

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Bosnian, but the only person ive ever seen with one was Buddy Hinton. Id like one for the collection... :grin:

·
Registered
488 Posts
FWIW, I just finished working out a BHO for AK mags that approximates the Yugo a good deal...

(The top mag is with the modified follower -note it's ht.)

I used a chinese follower -it has a similar rear profile with the Yugo. I modified the follower from a short mag -but it is the same as the chinese hi-cap, and, interchanges.
You can see it compared with a unmodified one -the "cuts" made via Dremel allow the follower to rise higher,but retain the "stops" inside the top of the mag body that are needed to keep the bolt from pushing the follower forward too much (raising the follower via removal of the mag "stops" will result in malfunctions).

I tested it today, using it in a weapon being fired. Works fine.

Jus' thought some might find it interesting (I'm sure I'm not the first to do this).

Lollygagger :neutral:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts