AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yugoslavian camo and gear: JNA, Balkan War.

Hey fellas, I'm starting my Yugo collection thread. I am putting it up part by part. This is just the first wave.

Serbian family of AKs.

Yugo M70 build by Red Jacket. This is the one I shoot. Dead on at 100 yds +.

M92, virgin kit build by Will at Red Jacket. As tight as an AK can get. The fireball is larger than a basketball.

The M95or M90a. IMHO, the best overall AK ever made. Interestingly enough, this was a Serbian military trial weapon. I believe they finally went with 5.45 model. The kits were sent over unused. NDS receiver, Red Jacket build. I hear from 500-1000 exist. Count the receivers to know what is out there.

I have a Mitchell Arms M90, but I can't find the pics. Underfolder, test fired 20 rounds 20 years ago. Tucked away in orginal condition, with the box, cleaning kit, original mag, Mitchell cert., thumbhole, original sling. 1000 brought into the US in 89 or so.

SERBIAN 5.56 M95 MAGS

SERBIAN BAYONET and BOSNIAN FLEUR DE LIS MAG

BOSNIAN MADE AK47 MAGS IN BOSNIAN POUCH
Pretty rare set of Bosnian made magazines. I eventually acquired 4. 3 have the fleur de lis, also the French symbol for my home state of Louisiana. Bosnia had the fleur de lis on their flag years ago.

CROATIAN MADE AK47 MAGS in EAST GERMAN POUCHES
These "2-rib" Croatian mags were recently discovered in a huge shipment of AK mags from the former Yugoslavia. Certainly not common, fairly rare in mint condition. Croatia received a lot of material support from Germany during the Balkan wars. These mag pouches would be typical of what the Croatians wore to store their mags. The leather rig is JNA.

SERBIAN 7.62x39 MAG POUCHES, US WOODLAND STYLED CAMO
Probably from a ballistic vest. Molded for 7.62x39 mags. Mile Dragic production.

SERBIAN 7.62x39 MAG POUCHES, OLIVE GREEN

YUGOSLAVIAN 4-CELL 7.62x39 MAG POUCHES
Shows 4 slight variations in material, leather, etc.

YUGOSLAVIAN 4-CELL 7.62x39 MAG POUCHES, WAR USED
One unique variant, gray interior material, not black. The last pic shows some field repair.

YUGOSLAVIAN M72 RPK AMMO BAG
Fairly rare. It hold 15 boxes of 30 round packed ammo. 450 rounds. This is not for a drum.

YUGOSLAV AK47 BAYONETS
Comes with matching numbered sheath and wire cutters. Very similar to the East German bayonet, with minor differences.

YUGOSLAV M56 BAYONET
A bayonet for the Yugoslav version of the German MP40. I received this accidentally instead of a M70 bayonet.

M92 KRINK SLINGS

These slings have a hook on the end instead of a flat clip. Originally designed for the M92, Serbia makes only the hook clip currently for all their weapons. The flat clips are for older weapons and accurate for a M70. The other pictures are of some slings purchased from Serbia used during the war, but are not of Yugo make. One is a Chinese Garand sling that fit Yugo AKs. The other is an improvised sling made from a Yugo gas mask bag.

ASSAULT VESTS

Serbian Police Vest for Kosovo operations. Apparently 400 made, a few dozen vests survived. US Woodland styled camo. Mag pouches will hold most 30 round mags. Definitely used but in excellent shape.

Serrbian M99 Assault vest for 7.62x39

Serbian M99-A1 Assault Vest for 7.62x39

Serbian M99-A3 Assault Vest for Snipers, M76 8mm, Vest 1

Serbian M99-A3 Assault Vest for Snipers, M76 8mm, Vest 2

Serbian A2 vest. I could not find differences so I did not buy it. An A4 vest looks like a ammo/water carrying vest, so I passed on that too.

Bosnian Serb (Republik Sprska) VRS rig. One-of-a-kind or very small production number. Made from JNA yellow branch camo material, various straps and leather. Authentic VRS patch. I've never seen one like this documented anywhere.

Bosnian Serb (Republik Sprska) VRS rig. Probably a very small production number. Made from US type woodland. I've never seen one like this documented anywhere.

Matching cap

Serbian Tiger Stripe Camo Vest. Probably a very small production number, like the vest above. This uses the tiger stripe camo, the same camo Arkan's units sre known to wear. Is it from Arkan's units? Not sure.

Matching cap

Croatian Combat Vest

Fairly easy to obtain. Authentic, mag pouches will hold different calibers, not as sturdy as Serb vests. The below pictures are not of mine exactly. I still have to find my pics.

Thanks for reading. I will post section 2 very soon. There is a lot more to see.

Up next:

· Registered
8,159 Posts
Let me be the first to say... "Wow!" That's a lot of photos! Great reference material there for those folks with an interest in that era of militaria. Good Stuff!

Are you sure all of those magazines are Yugoslavian manufacture though?

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Very impressive collection! :smile:

· Registered
2,976 Posts
SeaZast, always impressed with your knowledge and collection of Yugo militaria. I'd like some of that stuff too for displays, but since I don't really have a "direction" of collecting, I'd be over my head and out of my wallet.

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed the mags. After closer look, none of the mags were my Yugo ones... I was hoping for a sticky at some point...

SERBIAN MILE DRAGIC M-98A ARMORED VEST with 2 BALLISTIC PANELS

I bought this straight from Serbia. War-time production (1999, vest and panels). Level III protection panels. Can stop up to a 308 I believe. I am not sure what the rest of the vest can withstand.

· Registered
796 Posts
Very nice collection, I love the Police vests. Just wanted to give you a small correction. You mixed up the #s regarding the M72 ammo bag. Its to carry 30 boxes of the 15 rnd boxes of ammo. The total of 450 is correct as the manual says. As to my knowledge their 7.62x39 ammo is only packed in 15 rnd boxes or the 40 rnd boxes on stripper clips.

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the correction. I'll fix that :)

Most of this stuff came from Egay actually. It started when I saw a Serb camo shirt. I bought it. Then, well, I needed pants. Bought that. Then a beret? And then it just got ridiculous. The best seller on there is dauntlesssearch. I believe he is a Brit living in Serbia. I've had good luck with a lot of other Serb sellers too. I think I only got screwed a few times, once on a 92 issue cap and a Mile Dragic pouch designed for HK94 mags.

I rephotographed/recorded everything in the same light recently. I just have to get it all to photobucket in the right folders. I started thinning out a few doubles. I posted one of those M76 vests online. I have some pants that are too small, etc., that I will sell. I tried to buy everything that would fit me. I passed on a lot of stuff that was too small. I was able to just about complete several uniforms (JNA, Serb, Croat, Serb police). I'll probably keep just one or two in the end. Off to talk to a mod :)

· Registered
490 Posts
SeaZast said:
Most of this stuff came from Egay actually. It started when I saw a Serb camo shirt. I bought it. Then, well, I needed pants. Bought that. Then a beret? And then it just got ridiculous.
Ain't that how we all start??? :grin: I started with a set of DDR cammies from Sunny's Surplus. THen they had a different style and I bought that. Then they got the boots. In one of the blouses I found a dud Makarov round so I HAD to have the Mak it went with. Then the holster. And so on and so on. At one point I had an entire set of senior enlisted and officer uniforms up to and including Mess Dress!!! I even have a DDR NVA issue officer's suitcase... :confused:

It's a sickness really. :grin:

· Registered
158 Posts
wow beautiful gear! i collect yugo rifles but not much in the way of gear just a chest rig that i think is homemade and a croatian police uniform that belonged to my cousin. how much was all that stuff if you don't mind me asking. beautiful collection regardless.

· Registered
17 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.usHey guys,this is my 59/66 and my m70ab2 (and bayonet and oil bottle) on top of my Yugoslavian(JNA) Mountain Sniper Suit. Sorry for the poor image quality, if you want a better pic of the sniper suit let me know.

· Registered
17 Posts
I thought I might give a small overview of the JNA Mountain Sniper suit.(I really hate that I can't take better picture to share with you guys..) Anyhow,aside from the blouse,trousers,and gloves that you see, it also has a small carry bag(which looks precisely like a 75 rd drum pouch with shoulder strap.)The whole outfit fits in the aforementioned bag very nicely, which has a button closure, the button being OD green with a communist star on it.Blouse and trousers also have the same buttons on it.On the hood,there are two slits where you can stick yours ears through.Also on the hood, you can see the cheese cloth like face veil.The veil doesn't blur your vision all that badly,but I have too say its hard to look down a scope with it.The hood,pants leg,and arm sleeve all have a drawstring closure.There are loops for attaching foliage, which you might be able to see.Blouse and trousers have slits where you can reach into the pockets of your underlying uniform.On the back inside are the initials C C,written in what appears to be some sort of gold gel pen,I'm not really sure,I'm thinking personal initials,but maybe unit,I can't really say.All things,when turned inside out,are bright white as you can see.The really interesting thing is that you can see the darker colors of the camo through the white,leaving bluish hued blobs,making actually very good winter camo.I don't think this accidental.It has proven to be the perfect camo for the pine forests behind my house,and still very fair in the more deciduous patches of forest here in Maryland.I know a picture is worth a thousand words,but thanks for suffering through that, I hope you enjoyed and gained some knowledge from it. :smile:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.