AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn I love these guns!
We took my buddy's Yugo SKS to the range so he could finally get the scope he installed set up. It's just a 25 yd indoor range. But that little $35 scope kit from Copes is a hoot! It's advertised as a 4x scope, but both of ours were 6x. Very bright and sharp sight picture! He was blowing away the bullseye consistently with it. He let me try it with the last ten rounds and I put all ten into the UPC code block at the bottom corner of the target! Sid thought that was hilarious.
This is alot of fun for the money! I scoped my Yugo SKS about a month ago with similar results.
It'll be fun to try these at 100 yds with the gas valve turned so they fire like bolt action rifles. I've read that improves grouping size.

On a non-C&R note, I took my new Taurus PT745 too and finally ran some good ammo in it. It hates Wolf ammo! Many failures to fire and a number of failures to feed per box of that ammo. This time I used Winchester .45 ball ammo from Wal-Mart. $21 per box of 100 rounds. Noth'n but the best! :goof: The gun loved it! No failures of any kind. And I kept tighter groups than I did with the Wolf ammo too. The first magzine I shot put four in the bullseye and two right on the line between the bullseye and 9 ring at 30'. That was great! My buddy shot it very well too. Then after using that up I got out a box of Wolf .45. :mad: Geez! In 50 rounds it had three failures to feed and UP TO three failures to fire per magazine of ammo. (Holds 6) Those are some tough primer caps on that Wolf ammo. I still have a 500 round box of that stuff. It'll stay in the locker for now. Perhaps when I get the Rock Island .45 I want, it'll be happier with it. But for now, this Taurus only likes the good stuff.

We took my AKM too and put six 30 round mags through it. Flawless functioning! At 25 yards I could keep everything within the 8 ring in a pretty even group. My buddy shot it even tighter. All within the eight ring. But with even more of them in the bullseye and 9 ring than I did. We were shooting from the standing position.

Great way to spend a cold afternoon!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Is the Taurus DA or SA?

A stronger hammer spring may help with the primer issue, sometimes handguns that are DA have weaker springs to make the trigger pull more bearable.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's DA only with a soft, long take up on the trigger pull. But it has a nice two stage feel to it. I point it downrange and preload the trigger, focus on the sight picture. My preloading it becomes part of my brace when I hold it. Then I finish the squeeze. It's the only DA pistol I have tried that I can shoot really well. I like the built in gun lock too. I'm really sold on it as the one gun I'll keep in the home and not locked up in the safe. It's perfectly safe to keep it loaded with one in the chamber and the safety on and the gun lock engaged. That little quarter turn lock locks the slide, trigger and firing pin all at once. Very neat design. Insert the key, quarter turn, sweep the safety off and it's ready to go. That's fast enough for me.
I'd be just as happy if it had a slightly tougher spring to pop the primers more reliably. Just as long as that two stage feel stays intact I'd be fine with it.
I've got another box of 50 Winchester rounds still here. It really seemed to like those. One failure to fire in 50 rounds and otherwise cycled flawlessly with tight groups. I got a box of Remington today to try too.
Once I find what works flawlessly in it, I'll stock up. That one failure to fire in the Winchester ammo bugged me. But the range master at Camp Allen told me that even with the best ammo, they see an occassional failure. He recommended trying a few more boxes to get a better idea of how it would work over a longer run.
But if the best it can do is one mis fire out of 50, I'll send it back to Taurus for some work. It's my home defense gun. It needs to be better than that.
But I'll take it out a couple more times and put a couple hundred more rounds through it. The RM's advice makes sense. Funny thing was that one mis fire happened on the second mag of ammo. The rest after it ran like a watch!
I really like this PT745 as it is just so compact! And its an easy gun to shoot well. I've had a few "Holy Shit!" comments at the range when folks see the groups it keeps. But seeing the info on the new PT24/7 has me wondering about an eventual upgrade. Not as compact. But I like the SA trigger that reverts to DA if you have a mis fire. That is really a cool mechanism!
I'll put another 100 rounds of the "good stuff" through it next week at the range and see how it does. If the next 100 shots are flawless, she's a keeper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sidecar you must have went to Lynnhaven Indoor range? The scope from Copes is it the reciever and mount together type? Can you post a link I was thinking of scoping my Norinco SKS. Us Hampton Road board members need to get together for a shoot at the outdoor range in Pungo.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just check the SKS accessories at Copes Distributing. That's where I got them. They come with a reciever cover that you can "see through" the mount to use the iron sights if you need to. They fit mine and my buddy's Yugo SKS's perfectly. No looseness at all.
I've never shot at Lynnhaven. I hate Va. Beach traffic and avoid going out there if I can. I live out in Deep Creek. I prefer the Marine indoor range at Camp Allen near NOB. I like the way they run their shop there. I usually go there during lunch time on weekdays when almost no one else is there! That also allows me to use the HOV lane to get there. Most of the folks I see shoot there are very professional and safety minded. Nice crowd to shoot with!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my first Ruger P97 from them back when they were at the Marine Exchange. I've never used the range since there ammo selection is bad and there gun prices are now over the top I never go there. To give you an example they charge aover $500 for a GLOCK 17 that the Armory sells for $485. I do all my indoor shooting at Bob's.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does that factor in sales tax? :wink: Geez. $15. Those Pirates! :shock:
Some of their ammo is a good deal. They have home defense rounds on sale for 25% off right now. Targets are cheap too. Other ammo can be had better at Wal Mart. You just have to stay knowledgeable about where to shop. I ask about ammo prices there as I leave. If there's a good deal, I buy. But I always come to the range with what I already want to use.
I like the Armory too. They're the first shop I go to when I want something. They sold me my Taurus PT745 last month. Very good deal on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's no sales tax on military bases. I know it's not a lot more than the Amory I just feel buying on base you should always get a better deal then out in town. Now when it comes to AK mags the Armory IMO is a little high at $14.95 before tax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts