AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across some Yugo SKS's for $430 on Classic Firearms. They look to be in very good condition. The online reviews are all positive.

Is that a fair price for a Yugo? I would prefer a Russian or Chinese SKS but may just settle for the Yugo. The grenade launcher is meaningless to me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The price is over what i would like to pay for it. But.. i bought one and i am very happy with it. Clean firearm, shoots great and almost no recoil. I am glad i did buy, it is my first SKS and i was very impressed

·
Registered
15 Posts
So ... Yeah I just bought it one as well. You can probably find cheaper ones but the quality that seems to be the right price.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Depending on condition, its not a horrible price. Check out SOG and see if they still have any.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
They are a lot of fun, and can be more accurate than you think when you have good ammo and do your part.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
$350-400 max for a 59/66 in these parts. They're not rare, but they are great rifles!

Sure, until you shoot a M68 practice grenade thru one, then you'll change your tune! :cool:

Did you use a real grenade launching blank, or a regular blank? The reason I ask is I bought some "more powerful than normal" blanks, and the rumor is these work pretty good. I still to do this, but can't seem to find the time right now.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Did you use a real grenade launching blank, or a regular blank? The reason I ask is I bought some "more powerful than normal" blanks, and the rumor is these work pretty good. I still to do this, but can't seem to find the time right now.
Regular blanks. It's all I could find...

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Thanks. I'll try the ones I have and see how far it goes.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Thanks. I'll try the ones I have and see how far it goes.
The odd thing I noticed when I shot mine is that unless you pointed the rifle nearly straight up, the grenade would travel between 80-100 yards no matter how you aimed it!

Of course some of that is due to the blank ammo we were using, but my first launches were from about 45° and later ones at 85° and the grenade went almost the same distance!

For the above picture where I have the rifle nearly vertical, it only went about 50 yards but it had impressive hang time and bounced about 15' into the air after impact!

Let us know what results you get...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
lol, that is pretty awesome!
reminds me of shooting arrows straight up in the air as a kid...
is it possible to reload blank ammo so you could make your own more powerfull?

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
lol, that is pretty awesome!
reminds me of shooting arrows straight up in the air as a kid...
is it possible to reload blank ammo so you could make your own more powerfull?
I suppose its possible, but without knowing the type of powder, you run the risk of damaging your rifle.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
must be some info somewhere for reloading blanks. w/out worrying about a squib you could start real light and work up to pressure signs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man I miss the days when you could buy a SKS for under 200$... Hell my 3rd one I got in trade for formatting a guys laptop lol. when you get a good one, they are great guns! When you get a bad one... man... you will feel like your in Wanted the way your bullets will curve around the target :p

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
must be some info somewhere for reloading blanks. w/out worrying about a squib you could start real light and work up to pressure signs.
When I go out to try this, I'll take a pic of the blanks I use. They are made in Serbia, and according to at least one person who used them to fire practice rifle grenades, they do a much better job for distance.

As far as loading your own, aside from using the right type of powder, getting a good crimp on the end would be somewhat challenging I think. Most blanks use a very fast burning powder, so you could always start there.

Reactions: COCONUTS

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
I just stumbled across these. Classic still has them. With these supposedly being all matching and NOS I'm questioning finally buying an SKS.

Any other feedback from those of you who know more than I do?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I got mine from SOG. Sweet rifle. Brandy new. As far as I can tell from google translate of the logbook it was made and put right into storage. I had a thread goin on it a while back

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
I just stumbled across these. Classic still has them. With these supposedly being all matching and NOS I'm questioning finally buying an SKS.

Any other feedback from those of you who know more than I do?
I would try and get one from SOG if possible. I freely admit I have some issues with Classic Arms, and would not trust them if they said the sun rose in the east and set in the west.
I have read some positive stuff about what SOG is offering, but I have not checked on that in a few months. IMHO, the Yugo's are worth the extr money when new or nearly new, but some folks don't like the extra weight, and the fact the barrels are not chrome lined.

Reactions: Itsnodawayitustabe
1 - 20 of 24 Posts