AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of BIGM's Padded Russian Slings and am very happy with it, it seems perfect for the rifle. I have a question regarding the rear sling attachment or "swivel" on my Yugo M72 the sling loop is about 1/4" too narrow for easy slipping of the belt or sling, also it is mounted in a vertical manner and lays fore and aft. It would seem that a mount that swiveled would be better considering the heft of this rifle, maybe its me but I could see carrying the rifle in a horizontal manner like the M-60 would be at times more comfortable or readily usable than hung vertical down your back. Did the Russians design a swivelling mount? I could probably adapt something from the many swivel mounts available, just like to keep the rifle as original as possible.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
take a hammer and beat the metal part on the sling... thats what i did to fit one through. gun stays perfect, and sling fit just fine. :smile:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should rephrase that, I had no problem getting the metal sling parts to fit through the swivel, the best is a tight fit and doesn't slide smoothly. BigM sent me an email from another guy that claims the sling from an early model 45 or 56 SKS (Russian and Chinese the same) works perfect. My RPK has the swivel mounted on the left side of the receiver, I think having it able to swivel around a 360 degree axis would be perfect for my use...gonna work on that, I like the sling very much...its perfect.

G

·
0 Posts
here is a pic of my In Range build and i know you cant see alot of detail but the sling also came from BigM and it fits my gun perfectly..i beleive it is an 1.25 inch swivel.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I think I know what your trying to do ... the easiest way is with a chinese SKS sling with the leather tabs at each end. I ran into a similar prob. when I put some K-var plastic furniture on one of my AKs.

The K-var buttstock had the sling loop on the left side and since I shoot left handed it made carry a real PITA. With the SKS sling tab being on the small side it allows it to slide to about any spot on the wire loop without binding. I can carry it comfortably across the front and it stays put, like the M-60 style you mentioned.

Give it a try and if it works the way you want you haven't changed the originality of your rifle and are out about $5 for the sling.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Or scrounge up a sling loop and put it on the sling you already have and get a leather tab out of the parts box or at a funshow. You'd be keeping the wider russian sling but having the benefit of the leather tab acting as a swivel. Just my .02

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its wierd...I just checked the sling mount on a KVAR stock I have on a Romy build and the sling loop is larger and accomidates the Russian sling, which is actually the same width as the Bulgarian sling, the Bulgarian sling is shorter of course. My sling mount setup looks the same as your picture. I have not built one of these and notice the sling mount in the slot in the receiver is quite different from any stock mounted sling. I could straighten the tabs, remove the entire unit, spread the tabs to allow a wider sling loop like from the early SKS or even from KVARs mount, which I have a spare short stock and try that out. I appreciate the input and you guys have given me some ideas, including the option of another sling loop, I'll figure something out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts