AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a yugo RPK kit and saw that the barrel swallows a bullet down about an inch past the muzzle. Is this gun going to be a waste of time for me? Now, I used a muzzle cutter and that helps a little, but a bullet still goes about an inch into the barrel before stopping.
Has anyone else tried out an RPK like this one?

·
Super Moderator
10,320 Posts
Some seem to shoot ok while others will not be able to hit the side of a barn. Really will not know until you shoot it.

Personally, I would not run the risk and waste the effort of mounting such a suspect barrel.

Hootbro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hootbro said:
Some seem to shoot ok while others will not be able to hit the side of a barn. Really will not know until you shoot it.

Personally, I would not run the risk and waste the effort of mounting such a suspect barrel.

Hootbro
I'll be doing a screw build so I can remove it from the receiver without a problem. I suppose this is just for the fun anyway.

Could this barrel have been counterbored? Did the yugos do that?

·
Super Moderator
10,320 Posts
kingfish01 said:
.............. Could this barrel have been counterbored? Did the yugos do that?

Before the civil war, no. During, could be anybody's guess and then would have been under suspect conditions.

More than likely it is wear from cleaning and/or corrosive ammo wear.

·
Registered
371 Posts
When I got my Yugo RPK barrel, it still had a broken shell stuck in the chamber--which was a good indication of how well it had been treated...

It failed the bullet test by a wide margin, so I picked up a used barrel for cheap. The replacement barrel passed the bullet test, and was in much better condition overall.

I have not fired the rifle much though, so I haven't spent much time to see how well it groups. After function-testing it with a few rounds, I put it up, and have not fired it since. I will have to make a point to take it out to the range next time I go, and see how well it shoots...

·
Banned
460 Posts
i have 1 rpk that i replaced the barrel with a good barrel from apex for $75.it was a real pain in the butt to get off the gas block.lost some blood on that 1.shoots well.here are pics of another rpk that eats a bullet to the case and still shoots M.O.M=minute of man.i build shooters,not target rifles.but to each his own.i would build and shoot it.if you are not happy get a $75 barrel from apex.my .02

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouraging words.
bigmegina, thats good to see it hit the paper. I'm not looking for a tack driver, but it sucks to go through the trouble of a build to get something that might keyhole.
On another note, I have a couple of the yugo ak's which would fail the bullet test by American standards (they dont swallow the bullet, but rate about 4 or 5 on a muzzle guage) and they are good shooters that'll hit what I'm aiming at out to a couple hundred yards. I hope this rpk will do ok.

Almost forgot to ask: bigmegina,
how did you headsdpace the barrel if it was already predrilled for a barrel pin and another trunnion?

·
Banned
460 Posts
on the rpk that i changed the barrel,i pressed in the barrel with a dummy round in th chamber unit it stopped.then i checked it with a no go gage.i just drilled a oversized hole and used a piece of drill rod for the pin.the rpk in the picture is a milled receiver converted to a bent blank,weld build.did not have to remove the barrel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts