AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its probably considered blasphemy to have a red finish on a yugo but im considering it. I saw a picture on here the other day of a guys 2 yugos where one was the traditional color and the other was a Russian redish color. I have spent over an hour trying to locate it but had no luck. If you know where that picture is or just have any picture of a yugo with red wood please post. :smile:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yugo wood

-Todd_,
I've made Yugo furniture out of cherry and got some nice grain patterns and highlights. Some folks on this forum have some of those from me. You can stain cherry a little redder/darker if you like.
But to make handguards out of redwood doesn't sound like it would be very strong. Redwood is a bit fiberous, with a soft open grain.
If you could some how draw fiber glass type resin up through the grain ( with maybe a vaccuum process) it might make it strong for long term use.
But redwood by itself you could almost pick it apart with your finger nail.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean stain it red, not from actual red wood. Sorry I should have been more clear. I have a set of the ironwood handguards, would that wood be acceptable to stain red?

catsailer I dont think thats the one im talking about. These were pictured standing up, one had a really bright red finish and then the standard tung oil finish?

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
not sure about that one. i say do it. if you like it, who cares what others think. you can always restain it later.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I made my own, bastardizing the Ironwood method on their website and using Chestnut ridge stain. I made an orange tint with alcohol and red and yellow Rit dye and then added chestnut ridge stain untl it looked right. It may not be a red as you are after though.

·
Registered
868 Posts
stain

Sorry, -Todd-,

After re-reading your post I can see that you meant readwood stain.
The error is mine.

And jasonB, you made that stain work very well on the refinish job.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: stain

USMCE4retired said:
Sorry, -Todd-,

After re-reading your post I can see that you meant readwood stain.
The error is mine.

Well I edited my post, when I first wrote it out it did sound like thats what I was asking, it was my fault.

JasonB, that stain looks good, do you have a picture of it mounted?

Man I swear I went through a 100 threads yesterday trying to find that single picture. I should have saved it like I was going to. :doh:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jasonb said:
Here you go:

That looks really good, very unique too.

Okay does anyone have pictures of any underfolder with a red finish? Im thinking i'll just go ahead and give it a shot.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I finally found the pictures I was originally looking for. I didn't see them on this forum but it was linked from a thread on here to ar15. :doh: Might be a little to red, I think i'll try the rite dye method on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts