AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just bought my first ak. IM happy with the rifle for the most part but the rifle won't chamber wolf hollw points. The bolt goes almost all the way shut and then stops about the time that the lugs start to lock. The lugs will start to lock or will log all the way some times but the bolt is hard to pull back when ejecting the round. I went and bought some wolf fmj ammo and it runs perfectly no issues at all. I contacted century arms about the problem and they said that the rifle has A new barrel and that it was chambered to exact military specs. which was to chamber fmj ammo. They also said that they seat the barrels tight on the head space guage to allow the barrel to seat when the rifle is broken in. They said I could send the rifle back and they would take a look at it. Has anyone here had this problem or krow anyone that has?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Check for a small burr in the front lip of the chamber.

Mike

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Generally, AKs do not like HP ammo (unless you are lucky and get one like mine), but not in the way you describe. Usually they stick on the feed ramp.

The HP ammo you had may have been out-of-spec... a member on the other site had this happen with Golden Bear. Buy a new box of Wolf HP and test that out. If it still jams, then send it back or stick with FMJ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked my chamber I did'nt notice any burs. I went ahead polished the chamber while I had it apart. I took it out today any ran 20 rounds wolf fmj through I bump fired 15 of them and it ran great.
Thanks Again :smile:

·
Registered
100 Posts
My GP WASR feeds HP's fine. I guess it could be understandable for them not too since it wasnt deisnged too. But I have never heard of an AK not feeding because it was HP's. I would probably send it in and have them look at it. If that didnt work I would keep it and just shoot FMJ's in it. Good Luck

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Wolverine said:
My GP WASR feeds HP's fine. I guess it could be understandable for them not too since it wasnt deisnged too. But I have never heard of an AK not feeding because it was HP's. I would probably send it in and have them look at it. If that didnt work I would keep it and just shoot FMJ's in it. Good Luck
With many rifles, the tip of the HP bullet gets hung up on the feed ramp of the AK. Also, this happens more often with 7.62x39mm AK rifles than with 5.45x39.5mm rifles... as you said, the AK being designed to use FMJ style ammunition, this isn't really a biggie.

Here is the ironic thing- my Polytech has no jam problems. BUT, my US made COMMERCIAL Ruger Mini-30 jams every second shot with HP ammo. It does not do this with FMJ or SP ammo. On the bright side, I got this at $300 less than MSRP, and it is a good plinking gun, so no biggie.

·
Registered
29 Posts
some guns just dont like hollow point ammo. for example, i had a mak90 that wouldnt chamber a hp round due to it getting stuck on the feed ramp, but loved fmj and sp. all of my other guns have feed hp with no issues.

shawn

·
Registered
186 Posts
sruger said:
Has anyone here had this problem or krow anyone that has?

Yeah I krow someone. I had this same problem with a new Romanian build. It was confusing because it seems like the bolt should have enough force to finish the chambering, but it just dies on the way there. I'd get three malfs in ten rounds to start out with. Then I just kept shooting, and after two hundred rounds I had one malf a magazine. After a few hundred more it worked every time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had this exact same problem just yesterday. Wouldn't feed them right, and the cases wouldn't extract. Had to use my foot (pretty gently, mind you) to get the bolt back and remove a case from chamber. All with wolf hollow points. Ran some fmj after that, functioned flawlessly. I don't really care, don't intend to shoot a lot of hollow points through it, just kind of odd that the cases would get stuck in the chamber after firing. Any ideas on why that was? I don't think I damaged anything by having to get a little rough with the bolt, but I'd still rather not have to do that kind of thing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had something similar with my yugo underfolder I got from AIM. It was going just fine even bump firing and everything. Stuck in another clip and it would jam every time. turns out it just doesn't like that one clip I have. Oh and it was all wolf HP.

A little of topic but on mine I noticed the gas piston has a wobble to it. Should I be worried? Also how is the gas piston attached to the bolt carrier? because on my romanian one it has a roll pin. But on the yugo nothing in sight.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Bolt Carrier gas piston.

The bolt is suppose to be flexible. It's pined on but you may not see it because it ws polished well. When you install a new gas piston you screw it in till it bottums out, then back it off a quarter turn, and pin in place. I have a Russian bolt carrier in one of my T3 kits that was so loose I thought the gas piston might be broken. I drilled out the pin and it had been installed with it so loose that it wiggled when you shook it.

CAB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts