AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built another Yugo M70AB milled underfolder.
The affordable AWO/ORF milled receiver and a AKBuilder milled parts kit of a few months ago. A pretty economical build using a pulled Yugo barrel in good coindition.
I have built several of the variations on the ORF/AWO receivers., M64, M70B., M70AB. Good value and nice heavy duty milled AK's.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I love seeing your finished work, Mike. Another work of MilSurp art, very nice! Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I need to get a couple of those AWO receivers. Hard to beat them for the price. Does anyone have experience with their Galil or VZ58 receivers?

Nathan

·
Registered
436 Posts
Does anyone have experience with their Galil or VZ58 receivers?
I built a vz58.Everything went smooth except the fire control pin holes were undersized.After a little filing it was all good.Im ready to build another one .

Nice Yugo by the way.I want to redo my M64

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to get a couple of those AWO receivers. Hard to beat them for the price. Does anyone have experience with their Galil or VZ58 receivers?

Nathan
I think they (AWO) are starting to hit the last of the M70AB (ORF) receivers. The latest are the ones with some pitting from storage moisture damage.
They still have M64 receivers for press & pin builds and a M70 will build up on those. Just need to fake the little lefts side M64 nut/bolt thingy.
Hard to beat the value if you want to build a milled kit and do not have stubs or just do not want a reweld. Nice markings and minimal tweaking gets it done.
The VZ receivers are good to go. Not sure on the Galil., my buddy did a micro., ORF receiver and it was a journey but I think that was headspace related but perhaps some other contours if IIRC. Did not track that very close.

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That "teak" wood handguard is fantasitc. Beautiful grain.
Some of the Yugo wood has nice grain and color in the older or later examples. None is Teak. The grained wood is elm. The lighter ungrained wood is Birch, I believe.
The Teak myth was started by Mitchell Arms on their Yugoslavian imports of the 1980's.

Matt of Ironwood Design originally used Teak as the myth was still alive. Here is his later comments on the wood>

Matt from Ironwood Designs here,
Thought I would chime in on this discussion.
True, Mitchell did claim they were Teak, the stocks are notTeak.
We have used Teak for years to make our Yugo reproductionstocks, simply because it looks virtually identical, when finished with atypical gun stock oil, like Tung, Tru, or Linseed oil.
I had spoken to Bill at Patomic arms a few years ago aboutthis very same question. He responded and said that the guys at the Zastavafactory laughed when they heard that everyone thought that the Yugos came withTeak stocks, a very expensive Southeast Asian hardwood. The actual wood used onmost of the M70s was a species of Birch, found in Eastern Europe, ( Yugolaviaand regions nearby).
M90/95s were typically fitted with Beech wood, which we douse for both M70 & M90 stock sets. I'm not sure about Elm, as I have neverworked with that material before.
Here's a pic with some Yugos with our Teak sets installedand finished.
Can you tell which one is Teak? One of the sets has originalYugo furniture.
[email protected]
One of the early ads from Mitchell Arms and typical of their over-hyped descriptions and the "teak" myth birthplace..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts