AK Rifles banner

Yugo M70 <=> Generic AK Parts Interchangeable?

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Hootbro 
#1 ·
Wanting to know which generic AK parts and sub-assemblies will work in a Century-build Yugo M70...

Bolt Carrier?
Bolt?
Gas Piston?
Recoil Spring & Guide?

...and anything else you know of.....

I know the furniture generally isn't, and the receiver cover probably isn't either, but the grips are and the FCG usually are......

I've done searches and haven't found any definitive, reliable information.

Thanks in advance

#5 ·
I'm not sure either.

Gas tube no, receiver cover no, hand guards no.

You are also right that the pistol grip is interchangeable (though you might have to file your new one a little bit or drill into the bottom to make room for the wider head on the Yugo grip bolt).

The FCG swap is a breeze, the sight leaf is interchangeable, as is the front sight post and muzzle break.

The stock is not interchangeable unless you track down the extender device that adapts a normal stock to a a Yugo. As I understand it, this comes out looking weird unless you spend some time filing the parts so it sits at the correct angle. I think its an ACE product, maybe it only works on their folders, IDK, I have no interest in replacing my solid stock and I read about it several months back. If you need something to fit it, I believe ironwood can sell you something for a Yugo. I believe its almost impossible to directly adapt an AK stock to a Yugo because the bolt is at a very different angle and i believe there are 2.

I think any time you change out a a bolt/BC you have to double check the head spacing. I believe this is true even if you aren't mixing the national origins of your parts. I don't know the details though, maybe someone can tell you how to measure the head spacing and what a normal value is. If it fits (head spacing) and functions properly, then you are probably good to go. I bet there are certain BC's that are known to work better on Yugos, hopefully someone can tell you which, I don't know, just be safe if you try.

I don't know about the mag latch, trigger guard, recoil spring assembly, or trigger/hammer retainer pins, shepherds hooks, retainer plates or retainer springs.

I believe the cleaning rod is the same length as a Romy, but its threaded differently. Mine doesn't have a trapdoor for a Yugo threaded cleaning kit anyway, so that doesnt really matter to me.

If nobody else answers here, just ask in the larger general discussion forum, because I rarely see more than 1 or 2 people browsing the Yugo section at a time. You can find a lot by just searching though. I know that the answers you find aren't always clear.

Since we're on the subject: Anybody know where I can find a nice-looking Yugo M70 gas tube?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.