AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the concenses on these? I was thinking about buying a M70 kit from Apex and buying 2 of the barrels and picking the better. I don't want to buy a new barrel as this will be my first population and mostly a practice.

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
I would buy at least three and hope for the best. It is a lottery on condition. If you get lucky you can sell off any additional good barrels. They will need lots of cleaning in any case and the 23mm trunnion journal is likely to have some galling but it will not interfere with build. It can be filled, filed or left as is.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
If you are practicing they should be fine, but most of them are corroded and rotten bores, definitely buy a new barrel if you are doing a build "for real"

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
Well., the Centerfire barrels are a lottery pick. at 3 for $100 +/- shipped it is pretty likely to get a good one.., not excellent.
You can find original Yugo virgin barrels sometimes for $170-$200. They require extractor cut and all component cuts etc.
Brownell's (GM model 1970) and AKBuilder have Yugo configuration USA made barrels for $140-$175. The Green Mountain (GM) chromelined Yugo USA barrels are excellent.

Here is another option. I have a few Yugo "practice" barrels. Pitted or worn out bores. PM me if you want to buy one to practice and use as a template for assembling on a virgin barrel etc.

·
Registered
367 Posts
One out of the four or five barrels I've purchased from Centerfire has been nearly new. One swallows a 7,62x54 round up to the case shoulder. All but that one pass the bullet test fairly well.

I may have just jinxed myself though, since I order a few more today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts