AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this is the 3rd year that Yuengling has released their line of Octoberfest.

the first year i had my distributor buy ALL THE KEGS he could get- i got 8 halves. Holy shit. It was unFUCKINGbelievable. I have been around the world and tasted hundreds of Octobefests ....this was a huge success for Yuengling. Hat off to them. i lived off those 8 kegs 2 years ago....

so last year they released the bottle line of Octoberfest. I got a keg....and was like...huh...thats different. It tasted like the regular Lager with more malt added....it was OK but nothing like the year before.

i called the company (local) and talked to mmarketing manager that told me (assured) that the recipe has NOT changed...everything was the same

I was like..UM NO i drank 8 kegs of it last year, not only its a different flavor this year- but a different colour. HE was like...f you, you dont know what you are talking about...ok buddy f off to you too...

so this year's OctoberFest is out...
got a six-pack

they forgot to put flavor in this year all together :doh:

CAlled my local bar distro and they were laughing as well because it was even shittier than last year

LOL

nice going Yuengling, wait to fuck up yet again

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
8 kegs :hail:

Thanks for the info, I might have to try it out to test this theory my self. Maybe the first batch was an actual ocktober fest beer that was brewed in March and allowed to lager the 5-6 moths before they sold it, and this batch was brewed recently. The flavor of a beer can change ALOT with age (lagering). I have seen alot of local brewers that started brewing oktoberfest beer in late july early august which is not right!

Traditional Oktoberfest beer is brewed in March and served normally about the first week of September or the start of the Oktoberfest party.

Anyways let that 6 pack sit in cold storage (fridge) for about a month or so and get back with us on any flavor changes!!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
There may be something to the lagering (aged)thing.I'm in the South just for reference.A few years ago I was buying all kinds of Octoberfest for a party and ran across a 6 pack of Lienenkugel Octoberfest at an out of the way liquor store.
We did not get too many Wisconsin beers down here back then so I tried one.It was good,REALLY good.So I looked all over for more and found none.I saved the 6pack container as a note to myself and the next year I bought more......meh ,nothing like before.As I was tossing the year old 6 pack holder as a fluke wonder beer I noticed it was from the year before I bought it and had likely sat in that hole in the wall liquor store almost a year.I like October Fest Marzen beer.If we were suddenly limited to only one beer mine would be Ayinger October Fest Marzen .

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
I'll have to try a six of that stuff. Maybe they had a bad batch?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I tried Yuengling's Octoberfest last week and it tasted like regular Yuengling. I was like WTF! I was definitely disappointed in it.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flashpoint said:
I tried Yuengling's Octoberfest last week and it tasted like regular Yuengling. I was like WTF! I was definitely disappointed in it.

:twirl:

exactly. Wife tried one earlier- her response was " Whoa, is that regular Yuengling? only crisper?

LOL

at least last year it "sorta" tasted like the first year's batch...this year it almost seems like they threw some shit in the regular lager and called it a day :doh:

·
Registered
22,636 Posts
Thingling Cocktoberfist

At least it's not sam adams...

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
10Gauge said:
At least it's not sam adams...
Usually Yuengling and Sam Adams alternate with sucky Octoberfest beers. So if Yuengling is crap this year maybe Sam Adams gets it right.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Sam Adams got it right this year. Can't quote on Yeungling because the idiots can't figure out how to sell to the entire US...and being from PA that sucks...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I drink Sam adams Oktoberfest every year and it seems pretty constant to me. But arguing over beer flavor is like arguing that a Bulgarian ak is better than a Russian ak....

·
Registered
322 Posts
cms81586 said:
Sam Adams got it right this year. Can't quote on Yeungling because the idiots can't figure out how to sell to the entire US...and being from PA that sucks...
That's correct for sure. Living in Indiana for college made it terrible, sure missed the stuff.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I remember trying that yuengling at your place, it was good but I havnt bought it since. You know what I use Yuengling for? If I want to try a new marinade but dont want to possibly ruin a good beer. Last week I bought a case of Goose Island Octoberfest (I like their summer beer) and it was just....meh....not a bad beer but not Octoberfest. Their nut brown ale tastes more Octoberfest then their Octoberfest. Last years Sam Adams Octoberfest was very good, hopefully this year it stayed the same.

Last week I tried Spaten lager octoberfest. Was actually drinkable and Im not a big fan of most lagers

Im waiting on Troegs Mad Elf. It should be hitting stores sometime within the next month. Last year I only bought one case thinking i can make it last all winter......HA! I sure fooled me! Lasted oh about 3 days. This year Im stocking up....4-5 cases maybe more if I can get my buddies to get some too. This reminds me, I should probobly start hitting distributors this weekend.

Last month I was at Victory brewing. They only serve their own beers. Anyway, I think I had one of everything but their Summer Love, a farmhouse ale, is good hot weather beer. ell I had it in a bottle but they also had it in an old fashioned tap. The type thats hand pumped out of wooden barrels not frozen in an aluminum keg utilizing CO2. All I can say is Freggin WOW! What a differance in taste. All beers can benifit from being served that way. Not as cold but so much more flavorfull and fresher. Wet great with the postrami sandwich.

Anyone try Ghost Face Killah? If you're a fan of hot food. Hot as in spicy you'll love this beer. Serrano, Habanero, Jalapeno, Anaheim, Fresno peppers and dried and smoked Ghost Peppers. I can only have one or two before my heartburn kicks in.

Ok now I want a beer

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
heartbreakridge01 said:
I drink Sam adams Oktoberfest every year and it seems pretty constant to me. But arguing over beer flavor is like arguing that a Bulgarian ak is better than a Russian ak....

Sam Adams became a victim of success probably around 7 years ago. Once they let miller and others brew their beer on a contract. Flavors changes, ingredients changes WATER quality changes...

BUT

somehow they have managed to keep their Octoberfest pretty consistant from year to year. Its still a decent malty brew. Cant complain too much there.

but Yuengling ....they can manage to keep their standard Ambrer the same for years and years and years...yet they cant the Octoberfest right for more than 1 :flush:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Arik said:
I bought a case of Goose Island Octoberfest (I like their summer beer) and it was just....meh....not a bad beer but not Octoberfest.
Goose Island is now entirely owned and operated by BUDWEISER. Same with BECKS, they are no longer imported from Holland but manufactured in St. Louis at the big budmud factory.

The Becks dark and octoberfest is pretty good, but I can't bring myself to buy them.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
dead_eye said:
Arik said:
I bought a case of Goose Island Octoberfest (I like their summer beer) and it was just....meh....not a bad beer but not Octoberfest.
Goose Island is now entirely owned and operated by BUDWEISER. Same with BECKS, they are no longer imported from Holland but manufactured in St. Louis at the big budmud factory.

The Becks dark and octoberfest is pretty good, but I can't bring myself to buy them.
Inbev owns Bud now.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
heartbreakridge01 said:
dead_eye said:
Arik said:

Inbev owns Bud now.
The 2 biggest are inbev (over 200) and Heineken (over 150). Between the two they own just about every brewery.

Yea I know, goose Island sold out and you can tell the difference...unfortunatly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts