AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everybody has their best ak variant for understandable reasons. What's your worst ak variant? For me it has got to be the polish tantal. I had one and I hated the thing. Between the short stock, funky brake, and the non interchangeable upper hand guard I was happy the day I traded it off. By design the poles could have done better.

So what about you guys? What's your worst ak variant?

·
Registered
833 Posts
For me it is my Saiga 7.62x 39 rifle. It's just not a traditional AK. It's a great shooter, but it lacks a lot of features like interchangeable handgaurds, cleaning rod, threaded barrel (although I did thread mine, it is still goofy), mag dimples and so on.

·
Registered
22,683 Posts
I don't understand the question. The words "worst ak" don't compute.

I've had some wonky builds done but they were intentional mixmasters that just didn't work out for whatever reason.

Ooooo I remembered something! a Century Galil or Giloni.. Gillani.. Bologna.. whatever... now that was a steaming pile of monkey logs. Could never get through a mag and it ripped Federal brass ammo in HALF.. brought to light the lesson of having broken case extractors in all calibers. also not to buy Century products no matter how tempting

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I can't say that one bad rifle makes them all bad because I have had three really good ones, have talked to many owners who were happy with theirs, to say that SAR-3s are bad. I can say that I have come up on one SAR-3 that not only challenged by mechanical abilities, but actually beat me.

A friend brought me his SAR-3 because it wouldn't feed reliably, and realistically if you got two shots in a row you were lucky, The bolt consistently over-rode the next round in the mag, and regardless as to how I adjusted the rails, made sure the receiver was straight and square, the gas piston in right, the mag at the right height, and yes, Wieger mags, I was never able to get the rifle to where it would fire a complete mag without at least one round over-ride. Gave up and unfortunately my friend has a range usable but frustrating SAR-3.

The other side to this is that one of my SAR-3s is one of my favorite shooter. It has been 100% reliable and very accurate in now over 8000 rounds through it.

So I can't say the SAR-3 is my worst AK variation, but can say one of them ranks as one of the least reliable, least fun to shoot of any AK variant I have or have shot.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I had a SAR-2 that was pretty crappy.
The muzzle was FUCKED UP from the factory. I re-crowned it with a Manson Precision Reamer kit and tightened the groups considerably (6.5" groups to 3.25" groups).
The other problem with it was the scope rail was so crooked that I couldn't get any optic zeroed on it.
The charging handle was all fucked off too. Somebody didn't like the Romanian upswept design and decided to "fix" it with a torch.
These are all features that were "hidden" from me when I bought it on this forum as a noob. I won't give a name in this thread because I don't want to start a shit storm, but you know who you are Motherfucker.
Still, I don't remember the damn thing ever failing to operate in any way.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
They're like children to me.

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Anything century. 3 wasr's, two yugos and one bulgy 74. Either they didn't work, had unacceptable issues or were just pos's.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
they ALL belong in a trashcan

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had a SAR-2 that hated any kind of commercial 5.45. Shells would constantly get stuck in the chamber, had to stop on the charging handle to get them out quite a bit. Probably needed a new barrel, but didn't have the time or materials so sold it off as a project to a guy with full disclosure. I do remember the action was buttery smooth though (with an RSA FCG).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
wasr22. just been an unreliable pita from the very beginning.
That would be my answer too. As much as I want to like it my WASR 22 just isn't up to snuff as an AK. It's just not reliable- it jams in strange and interesting new ways on every range trip.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No bad ones, my least favorite was a Pap pistol in 7.62x39. Only because i blasted away so much ammo while not hitting a darn thing i was aiming at.
It was fun though

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Never liked the Tantal, so I sold it. Now I have only one AK I don't like - the AMD-65.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
If I had a bad AK I wouldn't have that AK. Never had a problem with any I've had and I've had many

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
I haven't had a bad AK yet. The ONLY firearm that didn't live up their expectation that I've tried is the FAL. I've yet to shoot one that functions properly out of the 3 or 4 I've tried. Bad luck I guess. I still want one eventually though.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If I had to get rid of one of my AK variants it would be the Romanian AIM. It's a nice rifle, but the front foregrip feels awkward to me. I understand why many of the builders chop these off.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts