AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Were Soldier's. Black Hawk Down. Saving Private Ryan. If I gave myself a fourth, it would be Tora! Tora! Tora!.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
9 Rota, Apocalypse Now, The Beast of War (Kind of a bad movie, but it's just funny to see Soviets in Afghanistan in a moralized Hollywood picture).

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Full Metal Jacket, Enemy at the Gate, Charlie Wilson's War to name a few favorites. Heck, I watch them all...:)

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have any of you guy's ever seen "The Odd Angry Shot"? It's about the Aussie's in Vietnam. It's on Youtube, just haven't got around to watching it yet.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Have any of you guy's ever seen "The Odd Angry Shot"? It's about the Aussie's in Vietnam. It's on Youtube, just haven't got around to watching it yet.
It's a great movie. I have it on VHS, though I don't have a player anymore....lol.

"Battleground" is a classic. It won best movie after the war. The studio didn't want to release it because they figured everyone was burnt out on war movies and now that the GIs were back, no one would go see it. They released it anyway, since it was in the can, and it was a tremendous hit. The GIs that had returned thought it was a great movie because it really had so much truth to it. It's certainly my favorite.

Not really a "war" movie, but "The Best Years of Our Lives" is about three GIs that return to civillian life and how it effects them. Timeless. One guy, a Sailor who lost both arms (played by a guy who actually did loose both arms in the war) shows what he has to go through. The second guy is a B-17 pilot with PTSD like a mother. He returns to no job, and a wife that's stepping out on him. The third guy is an Infantry NCO who adjusts to civillian life well enough, but has a harder time putting up with the BS at work. It's a phenomenal movie, and will really have you thinking about all those guys returning today and realizing shit doesn't really change, ever.

I can't decide on a third. "Run Silent, Run Deep" "Pork Chop Hill" "Fixed Bayonets" and a host of others.

·
Registered
978 Posts
1. Das Boot
2. Hamburger Hill
3. Band of Brothers - not a movie, but I would put it up against the best that hollywood has to offer.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Saving Private Ryan, Tora Tora Tora, and The Longest Day

I'm a pretty big history buff, so I have a really hard time enjoying most of the crap that hollywood puts out. Prime example is Pearl Harbor. Apparently the attack on December 7, 1941 wasn't dramatic enough for Hollywood... it needed to have a guy banging his best friend's girl after his friend died, only for his friend to turn up alive??? :mad:

Reactions: joelad

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Yeah, just awful. The only part of it worth a damn was when they showed how the Japanese had modified their torpedo's to work in such shallow waters. So, about 45 seconds of that piece of shit

·
Registered
255 Posts
I will check that out. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm a pretty big history buff, so I have a really hard time enjoying most of the crap that hollywood puts out. Prime example is Pearl Harbor. Apparently the attack on December 7, 1941 wasn't dramatic enough for Hollywood... it needed to have a guy banging his best friend's girl after his friend died, only for his friend to turn up alive??? :mad:
+1000 on this!

The part they showed in the previews where you watched the bomb clear the plane, see the fuse spin up and arm...that was frigging awesome. most of the rest should never have been filmed. I can't think of a movie that disappointed more than this one.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts