AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine was a Clayco underfolder with the black cloth impregnated synthetic handguards and grip. Loved that rifle.

My second was a Valmet M62S with wooden buttstock and "cheese grater" forend.

Both rifles were stolen in 1990.................... :evil:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
A Romanian SAR-1. Was brand new and straight as an arrow, did my homework before layin' down the $239 or so on it. Sold it a few years ago, but I got another to make up for it. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
The first was a Clayco underfolder,same as Templars with black cloth impregnated plastic,the second was a Steyr Maadi and third was a Valmet M62 with tubular fixed stock.....................it was all down hill from there.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, the owner of the shop/range I worked in when I was 16 (1987) was a retired US Army Lt. Col. He kept a Steyr Maadi locked and loaded behind the door of his office which opened out onto the sales floor.

Said his experiences on the receiving end of them in Vietnam convinced him it was the way to go.

:twisted:

·
Registered
551 Posts
WASR 1, loved it for the 3 years I owned it, just got annoyed with the common wasr problems (slap,cant,mag wobble) and sold it before I found out all of it could be fixed. :neutral:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Templar,I believe we lived in paralell Universes!

G

·
0 Posts
Romanian SAR-1. Went to buy a Bulgarian SLR-95 and made the mistake of telling someone where I found it. Next day I went to the gunshop and it was gone. I asked the dealer about it, he said a guy was waiting before they even opened the store. He described the guy and I knew who it was. I was friggin pissed.

So I drove to Prescott, AZ to pick up an SLR-100H after calling and finding they had them in stock. 480 mile roundtrip and they didn't have them when I got there. The had put 10 out on consignment with some dealer. I picked up 2 SAR-1's as I wasn't going home empty handed. Still have one.

About a month later J&G had the SLR-100H's back from consignment and I again drove to Prescott and went home with 2. They are gone now as I got talked out of them. They weighed too much anyway.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
MaK 90...Great rifles for the money, especially when I bought mine...

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
My first was a Steyr Maadi, my buddy still has it and won't sell it back, LOL. The second was a Galil AR in 5.56x45, the only rifle I really "regret" selling ...

·
Registered
368 Posts
first AK...2 new in the box PolyTech Legend underfolders....man wish I still had those 2. Since then...lots of MAADIS when they were preban..Norincos and a few more PolyTechs.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Passed up a bunch of Chinese AKs before the '89 ban. I rememeber when Kengs had them at the Nashville gunshows in the mid 80's. Figured I could pick up a cheap $250 Chinese AK anytime, they were everywhere. I snoozed & lost.

The first AK I bought was a '93 Intrac Maadi ARM. Liked it fine, but sold it when I picked up a Steyr Maadi.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
of course....1987... Chinese. I sold it in the early 90s<damn> ...still trying to buy it back from the guy!

G

·
0 Posts
My first Ak was a Norinco MAC-90 with a thumbhole stock and sights all the way left when sighted in. I hated AK's after that until APACHE got me a Hungarian. I wish I still had one. MV out!

EDIT- I used to be one of those "Who needs an assault rifle guys". I was in the Air Force and APACHE had to grow up without my superior knowledge. One time I was home on leave and went to visit him at his apartment. Just as I was walking through the parking lot a gunfight broke out all around me. Can you say OH SHIT?

Anyway, APACHE opens the door to his second story apartment and walks out with a Uzi and a Galil and yelled out "Knock it off or I will kill all of you mf'rs" and people started scattering.

That was my introduction to military style civilian weapons. MV out! :hail:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Mak 90. Butthole stock, 1996, 239 bucks....Still have it but wont post pics do to being a victim of ridicule. Yes it has all the "CRAP" on it. Underfolder, Birdcage, metal vented gas tube, Picatinny foregrip (But it has only 1 rail on the bottom, no side rails) mag release extension...tactical sling...You know all the things you guys hate.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts