AK Rifles banner

Your favorite movies...

6K views 120 replies 48 participants last post by  will36 
#1 ·
Having watched my share of movies down the years. It's hard to name just one or two. I like leeway. How about your top 5 or ten?

#2 ·
This will be broad categories John Wayne movies. James Bond movies. War movies based on true events or somewhat true events like Lone Survivor, Patton, We Were Soldiers, U-571 and Run Silent, Run Deep. If including TV shows, Vikings is my favorite current TV show. Also like Knightfall, The Big Bang Theory, Last Man Standing and Live PD. Also like old ones: Band of Brothers (probably tied with Vikings as my favorite), Hunter, In The Heat of the Night, AirWolf, A-Team, Monk, The Andy Griffith Show, The Jeffersons and The Company.

#5 ·
War movies based on true events or somewhat true events like Lone Survivor, Patton, We Were Soldiers, U-571 and Run Silent, Run Deep.

Seriously "U-571" as a true events story?

Do you even know who broke the Enigma codes?
Do you even know when the Enigma code was broke?

Other questions about who and when captured the Enigma machine from submarine/U-boot I will leave to you when you will be checking "true event" ;)

#3 ·
Shane , My Dinner With Andre and Three faces of Eve are the ones come to mind .

#4 ·
Too many to name, but here are just a few in no particular order:

All Quiet On The Western Front (1929 version)

Apollo 13

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back

The Big Lebowski

Pulp Fiction

Gone With The Wind

12 O'clock High

The Bunker (German made)

Das Boot - The Boat (German made)

The Lives Of Others (German made)

Heavy Metal

1984 - A must see, especially these days.

The Blues Brothers

Little Shop Of Horrors

Reactions: Moses1986
#6 ·
The Thing 1982: Best apocalyptic movie/special effects
They Live: “Another movie that applies to today”
Jurassic Park: “Science gone wrong/Dinosaurs”
Jaws: “Salt Life gone wrong:p
Alien/Aliens: Suspense/Vietnam in Space good stuff
Once upon a Time In the West: “One of the top Westerns hands down”
The Fly 80s ver: Good special effects “science gone wrong again”
Escape From New York: “Snake Plissken Nuff Said”
Tombstone: Second/Third Best western hands down
Good The Bad and the ugly: “Gotta say one of the tops for sure”

List can change up over time but will still stick with The Thing as one of my tops.

#19 ·
The Shining, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan are a few.

#22 · (Edited)
It is hard to pick a favorite. There have been a lot of my favorites already posted.

Due to some unique life experiences I've had Oblivion is probably my favorite.

I have been on a hard Sicario and Sicario 2 kick lately.

Reactions: trevorc
#23 ·
If you're going to get all bunged-up over Hollywood straying from true stories you may as well not even watch movies altogether because it's been going on incessantly since silent films. All through the generations, scripts "based on true stories" or based on books have been fancified, embellished, and in some cases almost completely refabricated for the sake of selling tickets at the box office. Look at some of the classics- "Frankenstein" with Boris Karloff, "Dracula" with Lugosi(and just about every other rendition of the Bram Stoker book), "Lawrence of Arabia" with Peter O'Toole, every single Bond film, the list goes on. None of these films were faithful to the original stories or the history they were retelling. Hollywood has almost never been in the business of telling the truth. In some cases, like "Band of Brothers" or "Black Hawk Down," they actually harm individuals and their names when they portray them in an unnecessarily bad light.

If you're sitting down to any movie and expecting iron-clad accuracy you're doing it wrong. Entertainment is just like any other industry- "buyer beware."

#24 ·
You are right but some well known historical facts shouldn't be misrepresented.

This is how we teach lies and give a credit to one who doesn't deserve for it.

#26 ·
Well write a petition then, I'll sign it. Or get it on a ballot, I'll vote for it. But until then I'll continue to go into a film knowing full well it's largely exaggerated 1/2 truths and I'll set that aside and I'll at least try to have a good time and enjoy a couple hours of Hollywood escapism with a coke and a tub of popcorn along w/the Mrs. My somewhat above average knowledge of history allows me to discern reality from bullshit and still have a good time.

#25 ·
:EatingPopcorn:

Reactions: klagz13
#28 · (Edited)
Great flicks listed already and yes, so many to choose from. Will give it a go and these are not in any order of preference...just ones which come to mind:

1. The Searchers (1956)
2. The Time Machine (1960)
3. Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956)
4. Little Big Man (1970)
5. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
6. The Longest Day
7. Patton (Only film I saw 4 times in a theater...the first being a high school graduation event a friend of mine's father took his son, cousin & I to, at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles.)
8. The Green Berets
9. James Bond 007 film series starring Sean Connery
10. Dirty Harry film series with Clint Eastwood
+1.The Third Man (1949)
+2.Blue Velvet (1986)*

Honorable mention to "The Kid Brother" starring Harold Lloyd (1927), "A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum" (1966) and The Magic Christian (1969).
If I ever came close to busting a gut due to continual laughter, it was while watching these films!

*This film is one of the most bizarre I have ever seen. For years I viewed Gene Siskel & Robert Ebert's TV film revue program "At the Movies". Their revue of this film was the only one both were ever at a loss for words to describe. It is not only the content, but style of the film which draws one in to the point you can't look away...

#30 ·
Just looking at some of the DVD's I can make out without getting up from the couch that havent been mentioned-Airplane, the Abyss, Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, Blood Diamond, Big Trouble in Little China, Bravo Two Zero, Brick, Blazing Saddles, Bourne Trilogy, Chinatown, Collateral, Die Hard, Dr Strangelove, Election, The Game, Gattaca, Inception, Inside Man, Le Femme Nikita, Leon, Looper, Point Break, The Prestige, Ronin, Shadow of the Vampire, They Live, This is Spinal Tap, Tigerland, The Town. Any Tarantino, Star Wars IV-and up, Any Monty Pyhon, Wes Anderson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.