AK Rifles banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Done ;)
But know that U-571 isn't even close to true event or SOMEWHAT true events but just simply write history in wrong manner.

It is just like I write that the "fathers of the American cavalry/U.S. Cavalry" was some foreigners, not Americans.

Oh, wait that is actually true, sorry bad agsample.

But this is the same to say that WWII was started by germans not nazis (again bad egsample) but was started by Japanese or russians.
WTF? Over

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
It is hard to pick a favorite. There have been a lot of my favorites already posted.

Due to some unique life experiences I've had Oblivion is probably my favorite.

I have been on a hard Sicario and Sicario 2 kick lately.

Reactions: trevorc

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
If you're going to get all bunged-up over Hollywood straying from true stories you may as well not even watch movies altogether because it's been going on incessantly since silent films. All through the generations, scripts "based on true stories" or based on books have been fancified, embellished, and in some cases almost completely refabricated for the sake of selling tickets at the box office. Look at some of the classics- "Frankenstein" with Boris Karloff, "Dracula" with Lugosi(and just about every other rendition of the Bram Stoker book), "Lawrence of Arabia" with Peter O'Toole, every single Bond film, the list goes on. None of these films were faithful to the original stories or the history they were retelling. Hollywood has almost never been in the business of telling the truth. In some cases, like "Band of Brothers" or "Black Hawk Down," they actually harm individuals and their names when they portray them in an unnecessarily bad light.

If you're sitting down to any movie and expecting iron-clad accuracy you're doing it wrong. Entertainment is just like any other industry- "buyer beware."

·
Registered
316 Posts
You are right but some well known historical facts shouldn't be misrepresented.

This is how we teach lies and give a credit to one who doesn't deserve for it.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
:EatingPopcorn:

Reactions: klagz13

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
You are right but some well known historical facts shouldn't be misrepresented.

This is how we teach lies and give a credit to one who doesn't deserve for it.
Well write a petition then, I'll sign it. Or get it on a ballot, I'll vote for it. But until then I'll continue to go into a film knowing full well it's largely exaggerated 1/2 truths and I'll set that aside and I'll at least try to have a good time and enjoy a couple hours of Hollywood escapism with a coke and a tub of popcorn along w/the Mrs. My somewhat above average knowledge of history allows me to discern reality from bullshit and still have a good time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
red dawn
lone wolf Mcquade
police academy 2
missing in action II: the begining
The bodyguard
the last dragon
jason's lyric
done be a menace while drinking your juice in the hood
demolition man
falling down

·
Registered
937 Posts
Great flicks listed already and yes, so many to choose from. Will give it a go and these are not in any order of preference...just ones which come to mind:

1. The Searchers (1956)
2. The Time Machine (1960)
3. Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956)
4. Little Big Man (1970)
5. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
6. The Longest Day
7. Patton (Only film I saw 4 times in a theater...the first being a high school graduation event a friend of mine's father took his son, cousin & I to, at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles.)
8. The Green Berets
9. James Bond 007 film series starring Sean Connery
10. Dirty Harry film series with Clint Eastwood
+1.The Third Man (1949)
+2.Blue Velvet (1986)*

Honorable mention to "The Kid Brother" starring Harold Lloyd (1927), "A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum" (1966) and The Magic Christian (1969).
If I ever came close to busting a gut due to continual laughter, it was while watching these films!

*This film is one of the most bizarre I have ever seen. For years I viewed Gene Siskel & Robert Ebert's TV film revue program "At the Movies". Their revue of this film was the only one both were ever at a loss for words to describe. It is not only the content, but style of the film which draws one in to the point you can't look away...

·
Registered
All of them
5,214 Posts
Just looking at some of the DVD's I can make out without getting up from the couch that havent been mentioned-Airplane, the Abyss, Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, Blood Diamond, Big Trouble in Little China, Bravo Two Zero, Brick, Blazing Saddles, Bourne Trilogy, Chinatown, Collateral, Die Hard, Dr Strangelove, Election, The Game, Gattaca, Inception, Inside Man, Le Femme Nikita, Leon, Looper, Point Break, The Prestige, Ronin, Shadow of the Vampire, They Live, This is Spinal Tap, Tigerland, The Town. Any Tarantino, Star Wars IV-and up, Any Monty Pyhon, Wes Anderson

·
Registered
132 Posts
Star Wars
Gladiator
Office Space
Super Troopers
Underworld
Serenity
American History X
Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
There's no way I can list all my favorites. It would probably add up to like 200-300 movies. I gravitate toward a lot of action/adventure epics, intelligent comedy and more heady drama. I don't like violence for the sake of violence.

I'm really looking forward to this one(link) as well as the big budget adaptation of "Dune" coming out next year. IMO there's always been a definite lack of good WW1 movies, especially over the last 20 years with all the more recent advances in cinematography and special effects that have seriously raised the bar in war films.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
red dawn
lone wolf Mcquade
police academy 2
missing in action II: the begining
The bodyguard
the last dragon
jason's lyric
done be a menace while drinking your juice in the hood
demolition man
falling down
No Beverly Hills Cop? You're in the movie. I had to pick on you about that.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts