AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So earlier this year I posted about his Mak-90 Milled sporter and my grandpa was floored when he found out what is was worth. I knew he had about 3 or 4 but when I was telling him about his mak-90 being a collectible he obviously was thrilled to know that but also wanted to sell it because it didn't have a side rail on it and was tired of messing with the B Square mount. He said he bought a rail on amazon(I think UTG) and was going to put it on because it was such a pain to take the B Square off to clean the dang thing. Well after he found out how valuable the mak-90s were he didn't the gunsmith to drill and tap the milled receiver because it would obviously hurt the resale value to a potential sale to a collector. At some point in the earlier conversations he told me he had "two more" just like that one (the mak-90).

Well, its a couple months later and we are visiting and he told me he just got his "other" ak back from the gunsmith. My gut reaction was like "WHAT!? You drilled into your Mak-90!?" he replied "hell no, I put it on different one, the mak-90 is too valuable." He then went on to tell me it was a huge mistake because the midwest industry scope mount wouldn't sit true onto the rail. This was partly because of operator error and also later to find out he force f**ked it onto the rail but thats a whole other story I cant get in to. We were on our way back from picking up a mini-draco we found on armslist and I told him when we got back I bet I could get the scope mount setup properly onto the rail he had mounted by a gunsmith. So... we get back and we walk into the garage where he had it laying out on the work bench because he had been trying to shim the rail so the MI scope mount would sit more true - again that's a different story. So as we walk up to it I seen it had a similar thumbhole buttstock on it that the Mak-90 had. I said "I thought you said you didn't drill your mak-90!?" he said "I didn't, that's just an arsenal, I didn't want to drill and tap my two mak-90s because you said they were collectible"

This was my reaction: :eek::doh:

I was like "WHAT!? You have an arsenal!? Those are the cream of the crop when it comes to AKs!" It turns out to be an Arsenal SLR-95 Milled Bulgarian imported in 1993. I felt sort of bad because I was in such disbelief that he had done that and showed him what they go for selling them online I think I made him feel kind of stupid. Apparently he had purchased it from a friend for $500 a few years back. For $500 he got the SLR-95, 12 mags, and a case of ammo. I told him he should invest in it and send it into arsenal and have them take all the clinton ban stuff off and turn it into a pre-ban legit Arsenal AK. He felt a little better about it after I recommended that.

I tried to keep it short and hope you can appreciate the irony and humor in what had happened... I wish his gunsmith wasnt such an idiot and told him what a great rifle he had on his hands....

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Make your grandpa a list of firearms NOT to customize. Put it on the fridge and if has any doubts have him call you first!

·
Registered
637 Posts
That is almost as bad as the story someone told here about seeing a young guy at a range that had a gunsmith cut down his SVD Russian import becasue he did not like the barrel being so long. Whether or not true it don't know, but a terrible story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts