AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen reference to Saiga receivers as "dimpled" and "Y'd" - I know what the dimples are - but what does the term "Y'd" mean?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
well there is the dimples for the mag well and the "Y" dimples are where the trigger access pin in located. They look like a "Y"

·
Registered
512 Posts
The Y dimple they are referring to on Saigas is usually where the stamping is where the auto sear pin hole would be drilled on a full auto receiver. Basically it means if you had such a Saiga receiver, your rifle was built from a spare mil-spec receiver they had lying around, as opposed to most of them which lack that stamping as well as the dimples on the magwell.

It makes no difference at all to the gun other than making it look like a more authentic military AK. So generally people want them so their Saiga conversions will look more authentic.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

see the Y with no pin in it? Y + dimple = greater value because they are more rare

Exothermia pretty much nailed it, it's just cosmetic to people wanting to build more authentic rifle conversions

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exothermia - I think I know what you mean - where the "3rd pin" hole would be located? Would the other two holes usualy still have the reinforcing ("X" - hammer pin hole, "Y" - trigger pin hole) stampings even though it is not stamped where this undrilled spot is? My receiver has the dimples, the Russian selector markings - re-stamped with English "S" and "F", but no "Y" over an undrilled hole location. I have a labeled picture, but can not get it to show up as an attachment or tag it to this reply.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heimdal - thank you for the pic - just what I was thinking! Do all of the "milspec" receivers have this "Y"? The one I have has the dimples, but not the "Y" - also has the selector "overstampings".

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exothermia- I guess what I am wondering is if there are three variations - 1: no dimples, no "Y" stamp
2: dimples but no "Y" stamp
3: dimples with "Y" stamp

I have the second version - and am curious if they all have the selector markings in both Russian and English?

·
Registered
512 Posts
It appears it's all possible. I don't think there was much rhyme or reason to the dimpled ones coming in, they just used what they had to to fill the order. There's a rumor that the next shipment of Saigas may all have dimples, but you know how rumors are.

I just noticed you're in Iowa. Going to the show in Des Moines in three weeks?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exothermia - I wasn't paying attention that you are in Ames - I am in Stuart. In answer to your question - YES - I am at every one of the shows at the fairgrounds, and most of the Adventureland shows. I have missed a few in the last 12 years that I have lived here, but not many. Have you ever been to the Tulsa, OK show? I hear that is the one to go to in the midwest area. I grew up in the Los Angeles area, and went to the Great Western shows before they were banned - talk about a gun show! It would literally take all weekend to get through it. Allmost too much to see - but I honed my "scanning the table" skills there. That is where I got my first two AK's - which I regret selling to this day - Valmet M-62 w/ folding tubular stock, and Clayco Chinese import with black and green synthetic stock - but who would have known that the "lowly AK" would have ever elevated to such valued status!!!!!!!! AHH those were the days.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm actually from Des Moines and I've been going to them since I was a kid. Right now I'm in school here at ISU. I always try to come down for them. I have heard about the Tulsa shows but I haven't been to one yet, a road trip down there has been discussed and may be attempted for the spring one. I'd definitely want to have a nice wad of money or stuff to trade though when I went there. From what I hear it's a monster.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife grew up on the South side of DSM - I am a transplant from CA. I just couldn't take being told what I could not do with guns I purchased legaly - talk about humiliating - being photographed, fingerprinted, registered with the CA Dept. of Justice - then given a list of "rules" I was suposed to follow - what you can not do with your ak's! Basicaly got to the point where I was afraid to take them out of the house for fear of some illinformed LEO prick out to make a point. Talk about a complete 180 degree turnaround - here in the land of easily obtained carry permits and law enforcement that is understanding of gun laws. Don't be fooled when you graduate - Iowa is not the boring place younger people seem to think it is! People thought I was crazy to move here, but my friends back in CA are seeing my point now.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I live in Huxley, work in Ames, and shoot out at the Izak Walton range in Ames. Hope to see you guys out there some time.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
7.62M43 said:
Exothermia- I guess what I am wondering is if there are three variations - 1: no dimples, no "Y" stamp
2: dimples but no "Y" stamp
3: dimples with "Y" stamp

I have the second version - and am curious if they all have the selector markings in both Russian and English?
I've been keeping track of the serial numbers for the dimped and Y'd Saigas I have seen on the web. So far I've only seen the 2006 Saigas simpled and Y'd. I also have never seen a Y'd Saiga that is not dimpled. And to be complete, I have seen one dimpled Saiga that was Y'd WITH the third hole drilled but filled with a rivet. This was an anomoly that probably wasn't even legal but somehow made it through the importer (RAA).

As for dimpled & Y'd Saigas being rare, this is definitely true - but there aren't any real figure available that would indicated exactly how rare. In my completely ad-hoc observation at local gunshows over the last two years, I'd very rougly guestimate that of the 2006 Saigas, the dimpled count might be somewhere in the 1 out of 10 range - whereas the dimpled and Y'd count might be somewhere in the 1 out of 100 range. But again that's just my guess based on what I've observed here in the Northwest.

-Thirtycal

·
Registered
512 Posts
7.62M43 said:
My wife grew up on the South side of DSM - I am a transplant from CA. I just couldn't take being told what I could not do with guns I purchased legaly - talk about humiliating - being photographed, fingerprinted, registered with the CA Dept. of Justice - then given a list of "rules" I was suposed to follow - what you can not do with your ak's! Basicaly got to the point where I was afraid to take them out of the house for fear of some illinformed LEO prick out to make a point. Talk about a complete 180 degree turnaround - here in the land of easily obtained carry permits and law enforcement that is understanding of gun laws. Don't be fooled when you graduate - Iowa is not the boring place younger people seem to think it is! People thought I was crazy to move here, but my friends back in CA are seeing my point now.
For sure, my family has lived in Des Moines for 150 years and I don't have any plans to leave. The only thing I don't particularly like about Iowa is the stupid liberal Governor and Congress (smoking ban anyone?) and the fact that we can't have SBRs or any other NFA stuff. :mad: There are a lot worse places to live.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
p

7.62m43,i couldn't help putting my 2 cent's in on the great western gun show.
The mother of all show's.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW - we are going to have to start sub-posts here! Anyway here goes -

sdcromer: I was fortunate enough to buy a small farm in 95, and can shoot out to 400 yds. at home. I do compete in outdoor smallbore prone matches at the DSM Rifle and Revolver Club in Van Meter. I have a NRA "expert" classification, and am going to have to travel around the midwest to shoot enough matches to qualify for "master" class. I can hear you asking yourself now WTF is up with this guy - Anschutz for accuracy - AK for FUN! Besides the trigger on the Anny is way too light to chase Yote's around the sections!

thirtycal: for your records - my Saiga is 7.62, has dimples, no "Y's", made in 2006, and is #H061038XX - thanks for the figures!

Exothermia: Dare to dream - maybe if we all scream together, we could have all the toys the truly "free" states enjoy - yeah right - and after 12 years in the countrys largest pork producing state, I still haven't seen any flying pigs!

calri47: AHH the memories of my youth! What was that show - like 7000 or 8000 tables? Almost too much to absorb in one weekend. I wonder if I could still do it now at 49YO!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I've got an 06 Saiga/AK-103 conversion. With dimples, no "Y", but right bolt-guide rail was notched for an auto sear - "crudely" welded over..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts