AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure why these are so hard to find. Every one of the Tantals left the factory with one, and they should have shipped with the parts kits.

Unless they were scrapped, there must be a big crate of these sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

The Tantal has a different cleaning rod than common AK-74's, and the threads at the tip are not compatible with Bulgarian, East German, or Russian cleaning kit components.

The appearance of the parts and their functions are roughly similar to other countries' 5.45mm accessories, except there is an extra pin, unique to the Tantal, that is used to reassemble the complex hammer parts in the fire control group.

The Tantal has an exposed portion of the barrel at the muzzle end to help stabilize the combination muzzle brake/grenade launcher.

It looks as if the cap for the cleaning kit capsule was made longer than a regular 5.45mm kit's cap so that it might slip over the end of the barrel and function as a cleaning rod guide. The rim of the cap is even notched to allow clearance for the muzzle brake detent.

In practice, it works very poorly. The cap isn't long enough to touch the FSB before it bottoms out on the muzzle, and it fits so loosely that the cleaning rod isn't guided at all.

I tried to take a photo to illustrate this. If anyone has a Tantal field manual, I'd be interested to know if I'm using this properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First I've seen of these, thanks for the info, now all i have to do is find one :neutral: A lot of the parts kits i've seen don't have any of the accessories: polish bayo, cleaning kit, extra mags, etc. etc. Do you know of anyplace that is selling these cleaning kits?

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, sorry. I was looking for about 3 years before this one fell into my lap, and the seller only had the one.

I recall that the Polish AKMS parts sets that came in at the same time as the flood of Tantals were accompanied by their 7.62 cleaning kits.

I suppose there's a good chance that the Poles kept the 5.45 cleaning kits because they had a use for them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same problem when using the end cap/guide, it doesnt guide anything. As far as the extras you get I guess its hit or miss, I have two Tantals the first one came with the cleaning kit, polymer mag, and the late plastic oil bottle. The second has a metal mag, bipod, and a sling. so between the two all I am missing is a bayonet.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just looked it up in the manual.
No pictures of use, just parts and yours is complete.
Might say how to use but I can not read Polish.
The part is listed as #4. pokrywa przybornika in the manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts