AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for a thread like this hoping to add the pictures I took of the early and "Mid" model tantals I have but didnt find one so here it is!

Having these two rifles is cool because I feel they represent most of the different parts used to build the WZ.88, also have one of each mag pictured

My Early kit is dated 1989 (all original #s matching with original bbl) and has the screw lock hand guard retainer and an unusual tan-ish colored upper hand guard with bright orange bakelite lower and pistol grip, dark rear sight leaf
My "Mid" kit is dated 1992 (all original #s matching with original bbl) and has the more common lever lock hand guard retainer, the common redish/plum furniture but has a numbers matching smooth dust cover, silver rear sight leaf (yes its a post 86)

89 top, 92 bottom

89 screw type hand guard on top, 92 lever type on bottom

89 top, 92 bottom - you can really see the difference in color of the upper in this picture

Another shot of the hand guards, 92 on left, 89 on right

And another shot of the hand guards, 92 on left, 89 on right

89 Built on a 74u LLC receiver

92 The rear rivets are century and not mine! I bought the receiver with trigger guard and rear stock for $100 on GB and wont bother me to chop it up later

89 on left with dark sight leaf, 92 on right with silver. The numbers are also different, look at the 2,3,4,6,8 they are all wider on the 92 than the 89

Trunnion markings, yes the last three of the 92 is 666

89 trunnion has 27, 92 has the diamond 11 and some other proof mark?

89 on left has what looks like an triangle that got stamped twice, 92 has the diamond 11

89 dust cover on left, 92 on right.

89 ribbed on top, 92 stamped on bottom

Barrel Markings 89 (top) marked with 70, 92 (bottom) marked 77

89 on top no markings that I could see, 92 on bottom has stamped 2

Are there many other uppers like the one I have?

From my best understanding the smooth covers were only used in 1992 and they were left over WZ.60 parts, in 1993 they switched back to the ribbed cover.

If you guys would like to see additional photos let me know, Ill post a video of the 92 tantal soon, here is one of the 89 -

Justin

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Nice photo spread Justin, thanks for taking the time to do that. Just dropped my '89 kit w/ Polish 2-piece optics rail off at Ted M's. Got inspired by another Tantal he was working on, the detailing was beautiful. Tantal's are just so cool, now I want to do a '92 kit again. Better yet, buy back the 92 rifle I had to sell (grrrrrr).

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I've never seen anything like the furniture on the '89 kit. Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to take pics and post this.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Very nice rifles, I really like the furniture on the 89. I have not seen that color as well. Thank you for the pictures.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your Welcome Guys! Wish I could provide more information but Pictures are always good!

The furniture on the '89 is definitely not common, Ive only seen a couple other pictures with it, but it looks awesome IMO!

Hope to make a video with the '92 soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts