AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 97 WUM-1 and I’m having trouble getting the safety selector out. The WUM-1 has a safety ive never seen on any other AK. Has a block and pin holding the safety in place. Anyone who has owned a WUM-1 in the past take theirs out and have any tips?

· Registered
431 Posts
When you remove the bolt carrier the hammer is in the cocked position. Sometimes all you need to do is push the hammer back a little farther to remove the safety selector. Never heard of one pinned in place.
Pic's would, as said, will help determine the problem.

· Registered
175 Posts
These selectors are unique to the WUM-1 and are designed to be non-removable. You will need to drill out the rivet in order to remove the selector. The rifles were done this way because the WUM was originally designed for European export and their requirements are a bit different than ours.

· Registered
1,495 Posts
These selectors are unique to the WUM-1 and are designed to be non-removable. You will need to drill out the rivet in order to remove the selector. The rifles were done this way because the WUM was originally designed for European export and their requirements are a bit different than ours.
I've never seen/heard of this.
Learn something everyday.
Thanks!

· Registered
431 Posts
Wow, that is definitely different. Good to know . Just when I thought I knew everything. 🙄
Thanks for the education.

· Registered
7,270 Posts
I didn't realize that the selector is different, so I took a look at my 1997 WUM-1. Sure enough, there's a block to prevent its removal. I replaced the trigger group and didn't even notice. My suggestion is not to remove it unless you're refinishing it.

· Registered
175 Posts
Its not a set screw, its a rivet that goes through the entire cylinder of the selector. You might be able to punch it out through the other side and the screw off the block towards the inside of the rifle. If punching it out fails, you will need to drill it.

· Registered
7,270 Posts
I can confirm what Bullitt0088 said. There's a head on the opposite side. I'm still trying to figure out why someone would need to remove the selector.

· Registered
431 Posts
If it were mine, I would remove it and then install a standard version. If the opposing hole is standard, that is. This current condition (un- removable) would be a pain in the ass for a trigger change. Not familiar with the WUM rifle, I just offer my own opinion and insight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts