AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Does anyone know what kind of wood the original IMI Galil Stocks were manufactured with?

Also, does anyone make a USA Manufactured Plastic/Nylon Pistol Grip?

Registered
The grain in the originals looks like beech to me, but the color is darker than natural beech. Could possibly be stained, or maybe just darkened by grease and dirt. Cherry seems like a pretty nice match.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The grain in the originals looks like beech to me, but the color is darker than natural beech. Could possibly be stained, or maybe just darkened by grease and dirt. Cherry seems like a pretty nice match.
Agree, if it was European beech it would鈥檝e had to been stained. Most of the South American Galils had mahogany HGs. The mahogany is also a nice match to the original color.
Both wood types being a natural match, it doesn鈥檛 matter if they get dings or chips鈥 just add some oil and it blends right in.

Registered
Agree, if it was European beech it would鈥檝e had to been stained. Most of the South American Galils had mahogany HGs. The mahogany is also a nice match to the original color.
Both wood types being a natural match, it doesn鈥檛 matter if they get dings or chips鈥 just add some oil and it blends right in.
South American Mahogany would work, it's just difficult to get hold of. Beech is one of the prefect material for gun stocks, it's hard, has a closed closed grain and it's great to make gun furniture out of. However: For the purpose of making repros, cherry seems to be a good choice. It machines nicely, and the color is a pretty close match.

Registered
I saw some post from this forum and other firearms forums that suggested the material was european beech. There was a stock builder that offered these in european beech many years ago on one of the forums. I will try and attach some file pictures from a members library of pictures:

Wood Publication Natural material Cylinder Wood stain

Wood Auto part Shotgun Hardwood Gun accessory

Musical instrument Electronic instrument Audio equipment Wood Office equipment

I have european beech wood floors on the entire bottom floor of my house (have lived here for more than 20 years and the wood is still solid and never was never refinished). I did have to replace some of it when it got wet near the front entry door. Most of my home furniture is also made of european beech wood (modern Scandinavian/Nordic design). The material was imported by a Canadian Company in 1998 and cut into flooring in 1999 and installed in my house.

I have some spare material of this european beech wood. What are the dimensions of material that you need to make the Galil ARM Wood Stocks? Would you be able to make some of these stocks in european beech wood if I supplied the material? Or would you be able to source your own european beech to make some of these for sale?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw some post from this forum and other firearms forums that suggested the material was european beech. There was a stock builder that offered these in european beech many years ago on one of the forums. I will try and attach some file pictures from a members library of pictures:

View attachment 323754

View attachment 323755

View attachment 323756

I have european beech wood floors on the entire bottom floor of my house (have lived here for more than 20 years and the wood is still solid and never was never refinished). I did have to replace some of it when it got wet near the front entry door. Most of my home furniture is also made of european beech wood (modern Scandinavian/Nordic design). The material was imported by a Canadian Company in 1998 and cut into flooring in 1999 and installed in my house.

I have some spare material of this european beech wood. What are the dimensions of material that you need to make the Galil ARM Wood Stocks? Would you be able to make some of these stocks in european beech wood if I supplied the material? Or would you be able to source your own european beech to make some of these for sale?
The dimensions I need for an ARM set are: 1鈥 thick x 3.5鈥 wide x 14鈥 long.
These are minimum measurements, if larger I can cut to size.

Registered
I believe it鈥檚 South American, I agree it鈥檚 beautiful!!
I suspected that it's South American. The African variety is light weight, quite soft and difficult to machine cleanly, almost like working with pine actually. South American is great for gun stocks though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts