AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The last piece to convert that Tigr to military SVD configuration! New barrel, but needs to be installed by a gunsmith, as the extractor cutout, gas port, and pins cannot be machined in advance. According to Krebs Custom, these steps are normally done at Izhmash when the rifle is built. What this means is that a replacement barrel must not have this work done prior to installation, but instead it must be done after it is "timed" to the receiver in order to ensure that everything is in its proper place.
Only the barrel is for sale. All other SVD/Tigr parts are in the pictures for illustrative purposes only.
This barrel is the result of my quest to get a proper, military length, SVD barrel from Russia in any way possible.
After much effort trying to get a barrel from Russia, I finally got the following reply from Izhmash's Deputy Director of Commerce:
"Original message from Izhmash: Dear Sir, Please be advised That Tigr rifles and Vityaz are prohibited from importation to the USA. Sincerely yours, IV Anisimov Deputy Director on commerce Scientific "Izhmash" OJSC"
After further pressure, I was scolded for even trying. Pardon the rough Google translation, but this is what I was told:
"At Izhmash in the U.S. has a permanent buyer. Izhmash guide gets to the company and personally in his pocket from his well-paid by the buyer. Why him to address the issue of the state level? Guide Izhmash is not the owner of the enterprise - it hired people who are afraid to disturb the government on such minor issues. The government and so many worries. Therefore, the management Izhmash silent so as not to lose their job."
Basically, the problem is that anyone who exports "military technology" from Russia can get in serious trouble, and since the government there is...harsher and less predictable than ours, people at Izhmash fear sending anything that might be construed as "military technology" in fear of losing their jobs or their freedom. They don't even want to talk about it, which is why it is so hard getting a response from them. So, getting a new, virgin SVD barrel from Izhmash is pretty much out of the question. Also, because of the Clinton era Voluntary Restraint Agreement, SVD barrels and receivers are banned from import on the US side. The entry of Russia into the WTO may void this agreement, but that doesn't change things on the Russian side of the equation.
So, all of this being said, the only recourse for those of us who desire a full-length SVD barrel is to have one made here in the US. Although it would be possible to make compromises and just turn down a barrel from a .308 blank, it wouldn't be the correct thing to do. Keeping all of this in mind, I wanted to make something that was a proper sniper rifle grade SVD barrel down to the details. This barrel was made to be as accurate a shooter as possible - it is threaded for an SVD receiver, it is bored for a .311 bullet, it is single point cut rifled (this is the method used in the manufacture of most high-end match barrels) and it is made of Chrome Moly steel. The barrel has a 1 in 12.6 inch twist rate. No expense was spared in order to make this an SVD barrel in every detail.
These barrels represent a significant investment in both time and money on my part. In order to get the chrome lining correct, a batch had to be made, and it cost several thousand dollars just to set up the machine properly in order to deliver an even chroming with no variations, just like a mass-produced run of barrels would have done. In order to recoup some of my costs, I had to make extras and sell a few of these barrels. As such, I have an exclusivity agreement with New Lenox and am the only source for them. An extremely limited number are available. I doubt anyone would go through the trouble to make these like this again; it was a lot of time, expense, and headache.

I recently received an email from someone who installed this barrel on his Tiger.
Hi Thomas, I completed the barrel swap on my Tiger Dragunov and you did a bang up job on the barrel. The look is perfect and accuracy is definitely much better than the Tiger. Can't say if it is the new scope and mount or the barrel but rifle groups without flyers as it did before and is finally a sub-MOA rifle after years of trial and error testing scope mounts and handloads.... Myself as well as many others have thought about turning barrels for these but never made the investment that you did to make them as accurate as possible and I am very glad that you did....I did the swap myself with no problem at all.... I am ecstatic about the better accuracy.

pix983084780_zps46489c1f.jpg pix458737557_zpsdaf10cea.jpg pix355754066_zps902024c6.jpg pix118020585_zps02737211.jpg 11_zpsfa4e85ae.png

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All sold. PM me if you are interested in purchasing one - with enough interest I'll commission another run.

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
How much were these?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts