AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got these,and have the following marks on them I'm not familiar with.Was hoping some members could shed some insight as what they mean,and what the value on the mags might be.Thanks in advance.
1]The first is after the mold #there is some kind of cycrllic letter.There are two different that looks like the letter "A."One has longer legs on the side of the A than the other.
2]The second is some kind of silver paint/ink right above the locking tab.
3] In bottom pic,there is a line cut into the mag further down the side of the mag, then the other.Is this what they refer as a "looptop"?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Your bottom mag is what is known as a "longtop" variety - they were the first variation of bakelite mags issued. It is worth a premium over the regulars, but I'm not so sure if it is as much as it used to be because I'm seeing alot more of them.

The white ink is just what Tula used sometimes to mark their bakelite. Here's an example from my Tula bayonet -

As for the cyrillic writing, unless there is an exception I'm unaware of, it has no significance. Bakelite was extremely rough on the molds in which the mags were made from, so the mold numbers on bakelite mags run very high compared with the plum mags. So the cyrillic was simply a way to keep from repeating numbers.

I hope that helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts