AK Rifles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new here, but have been fortunate to have been around, fondle, and shoot AKs since I was 4 or 5 years old (ok ok... pull the trigger while dad held it to his shoulder) but my point is I know enough to say I'm 100% positive the item in question is what I describe it as and I'm only going to post pictures if there does happen to be any interest in someone possibly wanting to acquire it.

Was digging around a closest in what once was my grandmother's house and came across a pretty roached out stamped "akm" receiver with only the front and rear trunnion and barrel still attached. Picked it up looking for roll markings and had some trouble at first as it is pitted and there didn't seem to be any stamps in the usual places such as left side below front trunnion or bottom side by mag cutout but did notice the obvious front trunnion rivet pattern that said hey I'm Chinese. Rolled it in the light so the glare would help out some and finally spotted it...right above where the pistol grip would have been, GSAD MANH. BEA., CA...

Immediately thought, well s*** that's just my family's kinda luck lol what could have been a holy grail/possible movie gun pre-ban import AK was barely a shell of its former glory, not even on life support, hell it was a scattered by scavengers half-a-skeleton at that point, better off to have gone thru 'Nam. I've wondered ever since what the story behind it could possibly be, what had happened, where did it come from?

It had to have come from my like minded gun nut (of the involuntary institutional committal level) of an uncle, positive of that! When anything like that turns up you have to automatically go to, "well it had to belong/come from the guy that's buried with an Uzi, among other things!" Lol for real...ahhh he was great, would love to have been able to set around talking guns, but that wasn't in our cards, evidently he had some business in the after life to attend to, with a possibility of trouble, but nothing that him and Uzi couldn't handle hahaha. I gotta laugh thinking back, he was a character and it's been over 25 years ago now.

Back to this GSAD skeleton AK, what happened to it though? That I can only speculate, but the best answer I have is that one of my uncle's best friends, who's also a regular committal at the gun nut sanitorium, was possibly in possession of it some years back, they were always swapping and loaning back and forth to put some rounds down range with something they may not have themself. About 30 years ago or so, that said friend unfortunately had a house fire with near total loss of all his belongings. My guess is the GSAD was present at that forsaken event decades ago. It seems to make sense...all the furniture is missing, the gas tube is absent as well (more than likely thin enough to bite the dust with the wood), as for the other parts like the trigger group and bolt, probably used on other projects if salvageable.

I'll end my drawn out unnecessary trip back in time, all for a what's it worth post and without any pictures to top it off 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😅. Sorry guys if you read to here, maybe at the least you were entertained by an intriguing story, but if you did make it this far and you're interested in the piece please leave a comment and if anybody has any clue as to what a value could possibly be, any help would be appreciated. Being what it is I'd love to see someone take on what would be a challenging project at the least. Not having all the matching parts may doom it from future reestablished glory before it ever has a chance to get out of the gate? I've got other momentos of my uncle, I'd rather this have a second life, one I'll probably never give it myself.

DESCRIPTION:
Barreled Stamped Receiver marked GSAD MANH. BEA., CA
Still contains front and rear trunnion riveted in
Barrel totally unpopulated
Believe the trigger guard is still present and riveted on, not the mag catch though
The receiver is pitted up, not rusted through, no holes are thru or anything but definitely more than light cosmetic damage, roll marks were still legible and it's not 100% covered, more like 20%-33%.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
A barreled ChiCom receiver is something almost all of us would interested in, but you’re describing parts that possibly went through a fire.

If you really want an estimated value and to get a buyer, you’re going to have to take the photos. Close-up, clear shots.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Agree pics will help but if it’s been through a fire then likely the heat has negatively affected the metal making the receiver unusable.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Also, there happen to be a whole bunch of burnt up preban rifles and other firearms on Gunbroker lately. The fires out West took quite a few collections, some of which have been auctioned off lately. I think there was a burnt up Legend that went for $400.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts