AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a couple worn but usable bakes or plums for ak47 and ak74. I want to use these at the range but the only mags I can really find for sale anymore are excellent condition and with how scarce they are I'd rather not put wear on any good condition examples. If anyone has one or two mags to spare, I'd be interested in purchasing. Do not need to be anything particularly rare or beautiful, just functional and as common as humanly possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
guns yes.
71 Posts
Do not need to be anything particularly rare or beautiful, just functional and as common as humanly possible.
I get your feel, but TBH I think the whole "shortage" in AKs and components is a marketing scam. First and foremost, bakes were imported in VAST quantities... Second, only Russian bakes could loosely be considered as "rare" insofar that they actually are made of bakelite which has no widespread if any production left. This is only compounded by the fact that only these would be subject to anti-Russian sanctions. Polyamide is still in common manufacturing use, not just in gun stuff. Bulgarian AKs and components, E. Germany components, old cold war stockpiles in Ukraine are not subject to sanction so..? It doesn't do anyone any good to sit on top of cartons full of bakes and parts, hissing and screaming "my presciouses" if one person could never manage to actually need to use all of them. The only good they do there is to remain supply-controlled so you can be convinced that they are actually "rare". I've seen prices all over the place for simultaneously available, non-critical components, like bakelite pistol grips for example, where one guy lets 'em go for 25$ another tries to milk his 3 pieces for 80$ each. Shame, but tell me I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
AIMs had some recently but probably sold out by now.

I got 4 AK74 bakes and one had “short timer” dates carved on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get your feel, but TBH I think the whole "shortage" in AKs and components is a marketing scam. First and foremost, bakes were imported in VAST quantities... Second, only Russian bakes could loosely be considered as "rare" insofar that they actually are made of bakelite which has no widespread if any production left. This is only compounded by the fact that only these would be subject to anti-Russian sanctions. Polyamide is still in common manufacturing use, not just in gun stuff. Bulgarian AKs and components, E. Germany components, old cold war stockpiles in Ukraine are not subject to sanction so..? It doesn't do anyone any good to sit on top of cartons full of bakes and parts, hissing and screaming "my presciouses" if one person could never manage to actually need to use all of them. The only good they do there is to remain supply-controlled so you can be convinced that they are actually "rare". I've seen prices all over the place for simultaneously available, non-critical components, like bakelite pistol grips for example, where one guy lets 'em go for 25$ another tries to milk his 3 pieces for 80$ each. Shame, but tell me I'm wrong.
Yeah, the rarity is complete junk. These things are common as hell, and are worthless across the pond. Problem is that importers know how hard to get they are here so they'll charge appropriately. Also an issue is having to filter them through unsanctioned countries to get them here, which is more work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AIMs had some recently but probably sold out by now.

I got 4 AK74 bakes and one had “short timer” dates carved on it.
Can't find anything in stock on AIM, those $30 X-grades would have been a nice grab.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
They were ok, all needed a good cleaning and lube. Totally serviceable and perfect for range mags. I would call them BFPU grade.

Would have been better if they were $20-25 instead of $30

They had 5.45 plums the other week but I have a good supply of those.

Keep an eye out they may get another batch in.

·
Technical Advisor
15,608 Posts
Milsurp comes and goes.
Import restrictions, elections, civil unrest, sanctions and countries of origin becoming aware of the US market demand for certain items. All affect supply and cost.
ITAR and international arms proliferation controls come into play as well.

And then the conspiracies of price control, retailer hoarding and stories of Coulda, woulda, shoulda

It repeats like a sad country song., over and over. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Milsurp comes and goes.
Import restrictions, elections, civil unrest, sanctions and countries of origin becoming aware of the US market demand for certain items. All affect supply and cost.
ITAR and international arms proliferation controls come into play as well.

And then the conspiracies of price control, retailer hoarding and stories of Coulda, woulda, shoulda

It repeats like a sad country song., over and over. ;)
Yep, that's why I'm just trying to track down a kind member who might have a less-than-pretty bake in their collection that they'd want to send to a loving home :LOL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts