AK Rifles banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
It doesn't seem that long ago that it was that price (or even $200) for a full case.

That's about as good a price as you'll see today for GT. Many prefer it because of the boat tail bullet and sealed necks/primers.
Agree!, I like GT, never had a problem with them. I have some hp... a box or two... 😌

Golden tiger was $189.99 “on sale” at SGammo.com for 18 months. They sold out when the crazy hit, it came back at double the price. A lot of people are saying that alot of new 2020-2021 steel case ammo is alittle slower velocity by 100-150 fps.

Agree!, I like GT, never had a problem with them. I have some hp... a box or two... 😌
I've used quite a bit of it and haven't had any problems with it except one with a bad primer, out of thousands of rounds. The lacquer coating is way better than the Tula or "poly coating" stuff. If you look at spent lacquer coated cases that have been out in the weather for a while, most wont have any rusting except from the inside, where it's not coated. The poly coating stuff will be rusty inside and out, it really does make me wonder if there's really any coating at all. That being said, Tula seemed fine when shooting it, it may not be optimal for long term storage.

I have been out of the game for a while, and wanted some more 7.62x39. Not a crate load, but some more. So, I looked on the forums this morning to see what the best and worst ammo was.
Only one shop around me had any at all, but I got 60 rounds of Bernaul HP and 40 rounds of Fiocci FMJ for $86.00!!
Is that ok in 2021 or did I get robbed??
View attachment 323293
My area is $10 for Russian steel. The problem with the Russian ammo is that it is less plentiful
Fiocchi is brass cased, as is S&B, PPU, and US manufacturers. The brass is still higher than the steel but the differential is less.
It does appear that non-Russian manufacturers are pumping up their production of 7.62x39 which is good.
The cost of Fiocchi is about the same here.

I checked ammo prices today at Dunham’s. 7.62x39 prices for Wolf, Red Army Standard, and Barnual are $13.99 per box of 20. I bought Wolf at Dunham’s a few years ago it was $9.99/20. I bought Barnual from a gun store either this year or last year for $8.49/20 and Red Army Standard from Dunham’s for $9.99/20 last year. Prices are a lot higher now.

Funny I live between 2 Dunham's stores. 1 looks like picture, the other looks like raided pantry. I don't bother going to the later anymore. I'm not sure if it's the manager.
Maybe some places get lucky. Dunham’s near me has some ammo while both of my LGS has very little ammo. But a Rural King near me has a lot of ammo including Wolf, even Wolf shotgun shells.

Maybe some places get lucky. Dunham’s near me has some ammo while both of my LGS has very little ammo. But a Rural King near me has a lot of ammo including Wolf, even Wolf shotgun shells.
I don't believe it's luck. I have some LGS that refuse to gouge their customers and hold out for better price. And some that grab anything and make s profit. The second is steadily losing my business. I'm learning if the first doesn't have it, it isn't worth buying.

As far as chain stores with buying power. I don't think it's luck. When 1 store never has anything, and another always has something on the shelf. No company is going to send product to a store that isn't selling and ignore 1 that is. Too many stores leave upto manager discretion. And there is a big difference between the two stores.

I don't believe it's luck. I have some LGS that refuse to gouge their customers and hold out for better price. And some that grab anything and make s profit. The second is steadily losing my business. I'm learning if the first doesn't have it, it isn't worth buying.

As far as chain stores with buying power. I don't think it's luck. When 1 store never has anything, and another always has something on the shelf. No company is going to send product to a store that isn't selling and ignore 1 that is. Too many stores leave upto manager discretion. And there is a big difference between the two stores.
I have been told several times it is corporate that makes the decisions not the store themselves. Using Walmart as an example, when I asked about something no longer being carried in the store, an employee told me it is corporate’s decision. Same thing when I asked about why there is not more checkout people running registers. I was told corporate decides number of employees and hours they work.

I have a theory about Russian ammo. Although Brandon has banned future import, there is a bunch still scheduled to be delivered.

I picked up some GT from SGA that I thought I would never see again, so I'm thinking there may be more to come.

The Russians could be looking to dump everything they have to beat the ban.

I am waiting for some GT in 5.45X39, or at least some Barnaul.

Look for a huge shipment after New Years.

I have been told several times it is corporate that makes the decisions not the store themselves. Using Walmart as an example, when I asked about something no longer being carried in the store, an employee told me it is corporate’s decision. Same thing when I asked about why there is not more checkout people running registers. I was told corporate decides number of employees and hours they work.
Register/employee numbers maybe. What items to sell? Plenty of Walmarts that don't do 2A. Mostly larger cities. The more rural the better your odds. I haven't seen crap for ammo in a while, probably can't get the price they want. Aside from the recent crazy. Are you saying Walmart is red lining? Or do you think the store manager is pulling strings? I've seen some unexplainable results.

Register/employee numbers maybe. What items to sell? Plenty of Walmarts that don't do 2A. Mostly larger cities. The more rural the better your odds. I haven't seen crap for ammo in a while, probably can't get the price they want. Aside from the recent crazy. Are you saying Walmart is red lining? Or do you think the store manager is pulling strings? I've seen some unexplainable results.
I was talking about items other than guns and ammo at Walmart. There will be a product that I buy often but Walmart stops carrying it in the store. When I asked about that, I was told corporate decides what is carried and what is not. I would say this is the same for all chain stores except maybe some chain stores that are franchised like Ace Hardware and True Value.

I have a theory about Russian ammo. Although Brandon has banned future import, there is a bunch still scheduled to be delivered.

I picked up some GT from SGA that I thought I would never see again, so I'm thinking there may be more to come.

Shooting Illustrated has an article about the Russian ammo ban. The Form 6 permits are for a certain amount of time (2 years) and also for exact caliber/description and amount that can be imported. There are no changes once permit is issues.

Exactly! There is more coming in for a while. Buy it while you can and stack it deep.

I got a pack of 200 rounds of GT, still in the box to retain some structural integrity, that I vacuum sealed as a test.

Seemed to work just fine and got a nice brick of ammo.

Yes, I'm worried about the supply of 5.45x39 for my AK74:confused:
Does anyone else make it besides Russia?

Discussion starter · #40 · (Edited)
Just made a visit to my local Cabela’s for .45ACP. They never have 7.62x39. The only boxes of .45 were $23.00/20rds. The boxes were an off-brand I’d never heard of before, but they were brass cased.
23 bucks.
I am in the twilight zone.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.