AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say all you owned were AK's, some outfitted with decent optics but they are all AK's- would this be enough in today's modern world? I know the AK is an old design but it works. I'm thinking of leaving behind the overly complicated types and just going all AK and HK.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
If your asking if the AK is useable in today's modern world in the slew of poly and alloy firearms then, yes it is. Its a old design but so is the 1911 and both have proven their worth and reliability over the years. Being proficient with any firearm is key even if it's a bolt action mosin.

While I do think that the AK is not as adaptable with modern products like a AR is, I believe that it will flat out run when and where other more modern rifles wont. Today's rifles seem to be all about tighter tolerances with the support of the manufactures and aftermarket to keep a supply of parts in need if breakage were to occur. In a realistic SHTF situation where it is only you with no support then the modern rifles don't look that attractive.

Ive thought about this subject often. Mostly when I get done shooting my AR and then pick up my AK. Usually I'm left with the feeling of the AK being outdated. But there are products out there to update the AK to each individuals liking.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think the only thing holding back my AK is me. No real world 2 way shooting experience and no real former training. I think a seal team with aks and a seal team with ars. Would be pretty even out to 300yds. Past that I think a nice sub MOA would take the cake.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I love AKs but yes I would because personally I am not accurate with them. With my M1 garands thats another story, a little bit of a old design also but I can hit just about anything with them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i think it depends on who you are in combat with.

in guerilla warfare against groups of outlaws who also lack formal training, I think the AK would be just fine.

if you were part of a militia or something, battling a modern military with vast resources, I think the AK would be outgunned, and you would definitely need access to heavy duty artillery. one on one, inside of 2-300yds, youd probably be fine against someone with an AR, as long as you practice.

all that said, a 10/22 is better than nothing. I have AKs, an AR, and some hunting rifles. If the S hit the F, I would trade off the AR first, because I know the AK will last a lot longer. my theoretical EOTW guns would be an AK74 and an FNX45 pistol.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
i think it depends on who you are in combat with.

in guerilla warfare against groups of outlaws who also lack formal training, I think the AK would be just fine.

if you were part of a militia or something, battling a modern military with vast resources, I think the AK would be outgunned, and you would definitely need access to heavy duty artillery. one on one, inside of 2-300yds, youd probably be fine against someone with an AR, as long as you practice.
UMM NO. AK would not be outgunned.. no matter what kind of alpha bravo secret squirrel Charlie Zulu group...no matter what space gun they were using as a small arm.....ak will always be able to hold his own. It depends on the OPERATOR and training rather than looking at the design of a rifle.

go race Mario Andretti using a Lamborghini and let him use a 1976 Lada. He will still do circles around you

·
Registered
431 Posts
No on the AK. But, the HK is an evolutionary dead end. The roller locks are complicated, hard to clean and lack the Lego quality of the AK and AR. The newer HK products are not civilian accessible.

just my 18Bravo opinion, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
242 Posts
No, I wouldn't feel undergunned with an AK unless typical engagement ranges were over 300m. In that case, I'd be more comfortable with a quality bolt action with a scope.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ok here is how I view it.

The AK system is still viable for the most part but with the following caveats:
1) For home defense/property protection it is still a good option.
2) For fighting in the SHTF more than adequate.
3) Against a real military type power or organized opponent the AKs lack of ergonomic optical mounting systems will be a deficit-especially at night. What gives more modern systems the edge is their ability to primarily mount optic system (red dots, magnified optics and the all important night vision device) in a very easy to use format. Night vision and optics still IMHO with the best of mounting systems are somewhat awkward & lacking on the AK as the optical rail system is somewhat of an afterthought for these weapons. But like it or not that is what helps give the modern combatant the real edge; to see and engage efficiently when their enemy cannot do more than a best guess. The ability to be able to work at night is not to be underestimated. Or an iron sighted AK vs. a M4 with an ACOG already puts the AK operator at a disadvantage at any real distance.

To add on to a euphemism already used here: How fast can Mario Andretti drive in the dark in a car with no headlights versus some schleb who has fog lights, extra diving lights, high beams and spotlights.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Let's say all you owned were AK's, some outfitted with decent optics but they are all AK's- would this be enough in today's modern world? I know the AK is an old design but it works. I'm thinking of leaving behind the overly complicated types and just going all AK and HK.

I'd have no concerns with my most accurate AK's using iron sights in today's modern world. Adding zeroed optics could not hurt a thing, of course, but I am comfortable with irons.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Ok here is how I view it.

The AK system is still viable for the most part but with the following caveats:
1) For home defense/property protection it is still a good option.
2) For fighting in the SHTF more than adequate.
3) Against a real military type power or organized opponent the AKs lack of ergonomic optical mounting systems will be a deficit-especially at night. What gives more modern systems the edge is their ability to primarily mount optic system (red dots, magnified optics and the all important night vision device) in a very easy to use format. Night vision and optics still IMHO with the best of mounting systems are somewhat awkward & lacking on the AK as the optical rail system is somewhat of an afterthought for these weapons. But like it or not that is what helps give the modern combatant the real edge; to see and engage efficiently when their enemy cannot do more than a best guess. The ability to be able to work at night is not to be underestimated. Or an iron sighted AK vs. a M4 with an ACOG already puts the AK operator at a disadvantage at any real distance.

To add on to a euphemism already used here: How fast can Mario Andretti drive in the dark in a car with no headlights versus some schleb who has fog lights, extra diving lights, high beams and spotlights.

Marc, I agree with the part of modern stuff + mounting...but that's coming together as well. I just got a pair of NVG-14 gen 3 flat goggles (Venezuelan contract, made by BeLomo) [for review of course] and successfully mated it to a Aimpoint Comp M2 in my AK-74M using NPZ rail (will do a formal review later). hitting steel out to 300 meters at night.

and then there is this
ZenitCo AK Accessory Review - AR15.COM

Reactions: BigSal

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
UMM NO. AK would not be outgunned.. no matter what kind of alpha bravo secret squirrel Charlie Zulu group...no matter what space gun they were using as a small arm.....ak will always be able to hold his own. It depends on the OPERATOR and training rather than looking at the design of a rifle.

go race Mario Andretti using a Lamborghini and let him use a 1976 Lada. He will still do circles around you
Couldn't agree more! It cracks me up when I see the internet warriors at the range who have deep pockets/insanely expensive, sophisticated, top of the line shit.... and can't even hit the target. Training and reliability are the most important factors for me. I just want to be extremely proficient with a gun, and know that it will fire every single time. Hell, my friends and I had a competition for fun one day... we set up soda cans at 25 yards and started hitting them with a .32acp Walther PPK. A target that small is well beyond the intended range for that gun, but hey.. enough practice and we got proficient. Whether it's a design from 1929, or the most tactical ninja pistol the world has ever seen, it all comes down to the operator. Great post :thumbsup:

I live in an extremely high crime part of the city. My SHTF is an AKSU (sbr). I just can't think of any logical scenario that I couldn't handle with my handguns, a shotgun, or my AKSU if shit really hit the fan and I needed to clear several intruders.

7, I think getting rid of the overcomplicated stuff is always a good move. It's just about finding that balance IMO, for example - how many revolvers have you ever heard of that had failures? The flip side to that is obviously the low capacity that comes along with it. So for me, the balance is using a striker fired pistol. The extra amount of parts that could fail is worth the risk to have the capacity/etc

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Considering the likelihood of use. Probably in "normal"., use., a pistol or shotgun would be the valuable weapons as home defense from burglary/home invasion.

For some apocalypse or social unrest event requiring free fire type scenarios. A rifle of some sort with intermediate or full power cartridge would be a good thing to have. Personal choice, circumstances of what you can lay your hands on, ammunition supply., and whether trying to stay in or bug out as to carry capacity. But no rifle can stop lava flow, a comet strike, severe flooding or dying from hunger.:eek: But in the aftermath., useful.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Newer manufacture AK's have the mounting rail on the side of the receiver, so you can mount optics. You can also bubba the heck out of any AK with rails, synthetic stocks, etc. At that point, how are you outgunned?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It's all about the user's skill set and mind set. I would not feel out gunned in most situations with an AK. That being said, I'd still grab my M4 first. I'm faster and more accurate with it. Mad Max time? AK please. Brute durability.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
I wouldn't under gunned with a .30-30 levergun...yet alone an AK or an AR. I see very few threats that can't be handled with a sidearm and a long gun (whether that be a shotgun or rifle).

·
Registered
83 Posts

you disagree that a well-equipped modern military would outgun a militia armed with AK's?! another scenario where the AK would be inadequate would be engagements past 3-400m, where a full size cartridge and optics would be needed to make kill shots reliably. There is no all-around "perfect gun" that will work for every single situation. Even though our beloved AK is amazing, it still has it's limitations. Yes training is a major factor and one could be incredibly effective with a semi AK, but realistically, the average soldier will have much better training and equipment than the average citizen.

the trick is to use what will be all-around best for whatever you expect to encounter, and to choose your battles very wisely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wouldn't feel outgunned with an AK against anything I'm likely to need to face as an individual. Now, if you're asking me to play general, my answer would be that AKs would be a fine infantry rifle (still). I'd be more worried about the rest of the weaponry mix when I compare my army to someone else's.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts