AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
That Labor day weekend, I worked 3 days downtown at the Associated Catholic Charities Mission. It was the most rewarding 3 days I have ever spent in my life. Average people just like you and I who one day had it all, the next had nothing. The people in the community were coming in, in droves to donate, food, clothing, and toiletries. The refugees had blank stares on their faces....
I will never forget as long as I live the first lady I helped. This lady drove in, and looked like hell...., car was literally about to fall apart, and that was where she was living. Her face had seen the worst of times......eyes were blood shot red, and swelled with tears, you could tell she had literally nothing. She was a person in need... I asked her m'am can I help you? She responded is this the place that helps the victims of the storm? Yes m'am I responded, come on in, and we will help you. She responed, no I don't need help, I came in to donate to those people who really need help. I had never been so humbled in all my life

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Rotdorn said:
That Labor day weekend, I worked 3 days downtown at the Associated Catholic Charities Mission. It was the most rewarding 3 days I have ever spent in my life. Average people just like you and I who one day had it all, the next had nothing. The people in the community were coming in, in droves to donate, food, clothing, and toiletries. The refugees had blank stares on their faces....
I will never forget as long as I live the first lady I helped. This lady drove in, and looked like hell...., car was literally about to fall apart, and that was where she was living. Her face had seen the worst of times......eyes were blood shot red, and swelled with tears, you could tell she had literally nothing. She was a person in need... I asked her m'am can I help you? She responded is this the place that helps the victims of the storm? Yes m'am I responded, come on in, and we will help you. She responed, no I don't need help, I came in to donate to those people who really need help. I had never been so humbled in all my life

Wow. Humbling indeed. Thanks for the story.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rotdorn said:
One of the first things I had to do was to get Harrison County's CAD (Computer Automated Dispatch) back up and running, Their ANI/ALI was working (automatic name indicator/automatic locaation indication I think but that was with Bellsouth and InterAct. But we had crashed and lost a drive in a raid 5 all the data was replicated to Hattiesburg (all local agencies were the publishers and the data centers were the subscribers). We got that working but Pass Christian PD was wiped completely out. It is hard to demote (DCPROMO) a domain controller that you cannot even find and replace it with one with the same name in order for it to work correctly. I went to check on our office which was the annex of the federal building in downtown Gulport and they were cars up against the barricades and people wandering around in a days keep in mind this is the FIRST DAY AFTER THE STORM. The seals on the federal building annex held but the water came in from the sewage, anyways I left a not telling everyone that I was alive because a ,ojority of our staff had evacuated and no cell phone's worked I did occasionally get On-Star to work and text messaging worked for Cellualr south. And we went to look for my wife's grandmother in Waveland. THey had the national guard at the bridge on 603 and I present my DOJ badge and we went to her house and we were still seeing people being rescued by the coast guard. When we reached her house I thought for sure it would be bad but then I looked around the window ledge adn saw a cigarette butt with dry ashes and nails that were just sitting there. SO I knew that she had been rescued.

What happened is the night before the storm we tried to convince her to come and stay in the St. Martin area and she is a stubborn lady and she siad that Camille didn't get her. Well according to her account (and WLOX her story was on the local news) during the storm the water was risingin her home and it was her and her son and one of those external propne tanks had blocked the door and a boat with survivors was blown up to thier door, they noticed her and pick her and son and dog up and rode to highway 90 and she said that she could literaly touch the traffic signals and they dropped her off at the 2nd story of a hotel on the corner of 90 and 603 the water was that high that they just climbed the rail on the second floor and kicked in a door and got a room. The gentleman that saved her rescued someone around 12 people some dogs cats and a parrot (or cocatoo).
Now back to when we were looking for her...A family was walking of Margie street and they looked shell shocked they told us that their was nothing left back down coleman and they had passed people that had already passed. Without hestitation I picked up this family and we went to the school that was being used as a shelter. We looked for her grandma their and then went all of the shelters and the hospital. We could not find her. When we went to the hospital I spoke with a lady about locating my wife's grandma she noticed my DOJ badge that stated Southern District of MS United States Attorney. A ray of hope came over her face and she mention to another nurse that the FED was here I felt SO SO bad becasue I had my work badge on so I could get pass the check points and I had to informed her that i was only there to look for one individual. My wife and I bot agreed to put the badge up and only use it to get passed the roadblocks. Well it was getting dark and he still could not find her so we had to get home from Waveland to St. Martin is about 50 miles. The next day my friend and I went to mobile to get a generator and fill out as many 5 gallon cans of gas that would fit in my Yukon. My wife and his wife went back to Waveland to look for her grandmother. They spoke with some people and asked if we check in the hotel on the corner of 90 and 603 (I thought about checkink there the day before but the whole bottom was blown out and it look uninhabital, Well they were some wheres else and describe her grandmother as a little old lady that had a New Orleans accent and CUSSED alot. :grin: And the people replied YES that is her she is at the hotel. So my wife was re-united with her Grandmother

After that my days consisted of clearing debris and making trips to the Chinook drop at Rudy Moran Park in D'Iberville to get ice and MRE's and I volunteered their one day and at night we would drink ourselves to sleep to overcome the noise of the generators and the humidity. then wake up and bath in our pool and start all over again. It was an experience I will never forget and I WILL NEVER LEAVE FOR A HURRICANE

I hope this makes sense I typed it fast and I just took some tylenol pm

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Well, as of this post, it doesnt look good for La residents right now.
Hurricane Gustav is making a path for that area. It will be a day or so
later than Katrina IF the path stays the same. This is liable to change,
and no doubt will even if slightly.

Perhaps it will steer off to the Mexico area, but this time of year they come out of nowhere it seems.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I work for Southern Company and saw all the devastation. Luckily I was on storm duty in Birmingham, and didnt have to see the area after katrina for several weeks. I prayed for all of the people in that area. It really was worse than a war zone.

However, this is what happened when my family tried to help. My mom is a nurse and my sister is a licensed conselor. Shelters were set up all over Birmingham and my family volunteered. In walks a young couple from lower Miss. with two small children in tow. My mom takes the case and gets them set up with everything she could in the shelter. She didn't think it was enough and wanted to do more. I rallied all my friends, and we got together a care package that would rival a wonderful Christmas morning. My mom's best friend had a small rental house that was vacant but in a very nice part of town. We got them into the house and settled, got the kids registered in one of the nicest school systems in the Souteast and stocked the house to the brim. The agreement was they could stay there rent free until he got a job.....

Well long story short......

Two years, no rent, a trashed house and another child on the way, we finally got the squatters out of the rental house. They had done exstinsive damage, brought in others to live in the house, cost several thousand in repair bills before she could rent the house again, etc etc etc.......

Moral of the story...... I pray for everyone that is affected by the storms. I have eseen first hand how this affects people's lives. I have been thanked a hundred times when I roll up in the power company trucks, even though I am in a corporate support role. However, just be mindful of who you take under your wing.

Please watch the radar and prepare. Gustav is coming!!!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Katrina also flushed some real turds from NOLA into Texas, and crime rates skyrocketed almost overnight. :neutral:

·
Registered
57 Posts
WarBaby said:
Katrina also flushed some real turds from NOLA into Texas, and crime rates skyrocketed almost overnight. :neutral:
and 2 weeks later the traveling with handgun in car law was redefined in congress to allow for anytime your in your car it means your traveling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts