AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can usually handle the stuff and not get it, but i got in it deep cleaning a fenceline out 2 days ago, and it is now starting to show up on my wrist. Anything I can put on it to keep it from spreading? I can take the itching feeling and not scratch it but wondered if anything will make it go away faster. Bleach, turpentine, marshmallow fluff...what works for you?

·
Registered
345 Posts
oatmeal....it helps dry up the oils from the bumps which cause further spread and itch :wink:

·
Registered
881 Posts
This is going to sound odd but trust me, I've been riding and racing mountain bikes my whole life and have had poison ivy more times than I can count. Back in the early nineties a fellow mountain biker turned me on to a little trick and I didn't believe it until I tried it but, Monistat 7 works great on poison ivy, oak and sumac.

You'll feel like a dolt buying in the store but now I just keep some in my riding bag first aid kit.

·
Banned
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For now I'll give the vinegar a try, maybe mix it with some oatmeal and make a little mud with it.

The oatmeal thing rang a bell, I had this a couple years ago and my Aunt had some lotion with oatmeal in it that helped. I'll see if she has any more of it.

No mineral spirits handy.

Do I use the monistat internally or externally? :eek:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Keep it clean, dry and try not to sweat because sweating will make it spread. Fastest way to get ride of it is steroids, but you need a doc’s prescription. I’ve been looking for a home remedy my whole life and have never found one (found one for ringworm though).

The best thing I have found over the counter is something called Technu outdoor skin cleanser. It removes the oils that cause the rash to spread. You can buy it in a box with Calagel, which is a clear anti itch gel. Go to your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to show you where the Technu is. It’s the only stuff I use and it’s not that expensive.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hydrocortisone

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jewelweed (sometimes called touch-me-not). Don't laugh, it works. An old salt told me of this cure years ago. A few weeks ago on vacation my wife got into some poison ivy real good. I told her about it and she was real skeptical (she's a nurse). After the all the lotions and potions and what not did not work, she tried it. Just cut the fresh plant and rub the oils onto the affected area. According to my wife, it stopped the spread and was the only thing that completed eliminated the itch.

It grows in wet areas and is pretty easy to pick out. See if it grows in your area and give it a try. If it doesn't and you still want to try, I'll try to send you some. It grows all over my place.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Bleach! Salt water works great...the ocean!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Me and poison ivy/oak go way back.

In the past few years i have been using Fells-Naptha soap.

Says on the package that you are not supposed to use it on your skin. Call me crazy, I do it anyway.
Found out about it on the internet. Look it up for treatment.
As far as I know what it does is dry out the affected area and keep any residual poison from spreading out of the sores.

Get a corner of the soap bar moist and rub it on the affected area. Let it sit there until the soap dries on your skin (bout a minute) and then rinse off.
Do this a couple of times a day and don't scratch the rash. Keep it exposed, also. Don't cover it up.

Shit works and it's dirt cheap. Last episode I had was over with, in just a couple of days.

To combat the itching, the best thing to do is to run very hot water on the rash. As hot as you can stand and then a bit more.
Should feel like it's gonna burn you, but not quite there. Let the hot water run on it until it doesn't feel so hot anymore.
This really numbs the skin and gives me a good three or four hours of no itch. Enough to get some good sleep.

Recovering from poison ivy/oak is a game of preventing contamination. The best you can hope for is stopping the spread and letting your body do it's thing to recover.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Poison Ivy

:eek: You guys will flinch over this remedy. Dad always used a real strong carb cleaner to clean carbs and parts with and this stuff would peel paint. When my ex mother was with us she was allergic to poison ivy and broke out real bad from it, HA. She had some on her wrist one time and we were all in the garage and she grabbed a can of that stuff and sprayed the rash with it and the next day it was totally gone. It drys your skin out so don't use to much, just enough to cover the spot. Everyone that comes to the garage now grabs the carb cleaner and uses it on the rash and it disappears overnite. Dad always bought the stuff at the local Autozone and it's got a picture of a small block Chevy on the can. Stout stuff but beleive me it does work. Doesn't even burn that much. Try your luck and I'd say that you'll be surprised. :mad: Mad Max son of Madtechcool :cool:

·
Registered
868 Posts
poison ivy

Phil, old buddy, sorry to hear of the itching problem.

These guys are right about keeping it dry to keep it from spreading.

I know that some folks (I've even heard Doctors suggest this) pop the blisters open using a popcicle stick then use something to clean it off and dry it up.
Sounds like maybe the carb cleaner would be ideal for that. Hadn't thought of it before but it would sure get all the oil off you right quick and dry it out as well.

I'll take Kenelm52's suggestion a little bit further and say that concerning poison ivy and a hot shower, the pain is exquisite.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts