AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this thing for a little over two years and the VT winters took their toll. It had reached the point where it was hurting me to play anything but open chords due to the action being too high.

Well....I found a master Luthier who happened to live an hour away and after a week of being without my rig I went to pick it up yesterday.

He got the action so low it almost plays like an electric with ZERO fret buzz. I just fell in love with this thing all over again. $250 worth of work but it's WELL worth the improvement in sound and playability.

If it wasn't for the Superbowl I'd be out playing it in the pub this evening but that'll have to wait until next week.

The next project is having him restore my 1927 Vegaphone Artist 4 string banjo. That's going to have to wait a little while though.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ah! A Gibson man!

Lump

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lumpy said:
Ah! A Gibson man!

Lump
NICE!!!!

They're pretty hard to beat. I played about 30 different acoustics before I chose the CJ165....then did it again. After about 3 hours in the store, it was the only one that was truly screaming "take me home".

It's got a nice little active bridge pickup in it too....the amplified sound is incredible.

·
Registered
949 Posts
My Gospel I got back in '94 when they had the reissue series. Took a few years for the wood to age and the tone to mellow. It's not as nice as yours, but it's been a good guitar.

A few more Gibbys in the stable..

'92 LP Studio Lite

2003 AMS Limited Classic LP

SG Classic

Lump

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I blew my hands out playing metal during and after high school. I ended up getting depressed about the whole thing and sold off all of my gear. I just got back into playing a couple years ago and find that I'm much more at home playing the acoustic these days.

One guitar I got rid of that I really regret was a black 1992 LP standard. I got it for under a thousand via courtesy sale straight from Gibson and when I see what they're going for these days I regret it even more.

Very nice guitars Lump!

I still have a beat to shit epi SG in the closet that an old room-mate abandoned but I haven't felt like putting the effort into getting it back on track again.

I just inherited this thing:

1927 Vega Vegaphone artist. It's pretty incredible. MOP inlays everywhere....hand carved neck..... crazy marquetry all around the inside under the resonator......Gold plating on all of the metal parts....Microtuners under the bridge.

It still plays pretty well but I'm looking forward to having it restored. I've never been a banjo player but I'm trying to learn Irish Tenor Banjo style.

If nothing else I'm going to put in some fake teeth and go sit on local hiking trails this summer playing it and giving people the evil eye.

·
Registered
949 Posts
If memory serves, I think the British banjos typically are 6 string, whereas Americans prefer 5. What's the tuning on a 4?

Beautiful banjo you have! Worth spending some time restoring. Love the wood.

Somewhere around here I have a metal mandobanjo from years gone by. Belonged to my wife's Grandfather. It's missing everything except the one piece pot metal body/neck.

I live not to far from the old Kalamazoo Michigan Gibson factory. The guy who's done work for me is an old ex-Gibson guy. He knows them inside and out. He's cheap too. A setup is $15. On my 3 pickup LP I had him rewire it so one of the tone knobs is a blend pot for the center pickup. That way, I can blend it out had have a std LP.

Lump

Lump

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a couple different tunings. I've been using GDAE just like my mandolin.

I wish my guitar guy was cheap. He is freakin certifiable with what I think may be an undiagnosed case of tourets syndrome(SP?).

He does do nice work though :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have somewhat of a vast selection guitars but one of my favorites is my Gibson/Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor , sounds great plugged or unplugged....

·
Registered
949 Posts
Deros, I've lsitened to him online before! Love Rockabilly!

Let's see more guitars guys!

I must confess, bass is my instrument of choice!

Lump

·
Registered
949 Posts
GH, no one would fight you for leads!

Lump

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
here is my favorite 80's Metal Screamer with a few of my other toys in the background.

Built this one myself from an old used body from eBay and a new neck i had to finish and scrap parts i have had lying around from misc. guitars over the years . one of the nicest playing guitars i have ever owned.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yup, I think the self built guitars can be far nicer than factory. Much higher attention to detail. I've built several from Fender parts. I don't know if I've saved all that much, but my main giging bass I built, and the guitar player in my band uses one of the Strat I built.

This has Mex neck, Mighty Mite quilted maple body and Fender custom shop '54 pickups. I wire them with original cloth wiring and use the original orange drop capacitors.

This has a mex body, Japanese neck and reversed '68 Hendrix pickups.

My main gigging bass, with Lindy Fralin pickups.

Lump

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Been plucking on my 87 Gibson melody maker today and it rocks.
Super low action too so its easy to play.
Being a guitar tech is nice because I don't have to pay to get my guitars set up.
Finding a tech you can trust is awesome so good for you and I am glad you got your guitar fixed properly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
(sigh)

I bought a couple Epiphone Les Paul standards, played with em a while, but found them sort of muddy, and HEAVY... then went to cheap Fenders, Indonesian strat & Chinese tele. I still pluck around on a cheap Korean mandolin every week on the street corner on Friday nights. People start dancing, right on the street (usually in a very mocking sort of way) or sometimes walk up & put money in the case. Blows me away. Who knew? But what REALLY turns me on is when the Holy Ghost comes down & we all get to worshipping JESUS. True musician way of life for me. Music is powerful. It is a weapon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts