AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy ordered 3 Australian L1A1 parts kits, which arrived today, and we don't have a clue as to how to get the flash hider off the barrel stub.

Sorry no pics to post, but it's the one that takes the knife type bayo and has a small (1/2 in.) slots located all the way forward on the flash hider. behind the bayo lug is a small hump with what looks to be a pin going thru the flash hider and sandwiching a small washer.

The pin is nowhere near enough to the barrel to be secureing the flash hider but I'm wondering if the washer is in contact with the barrel locking the flash hider in place.

Is this a rivet that must be drilled out, or a pin that can be driven out. :neutral: (already checked over at the FAL files and didn't come up with anything). Thanks guys in advance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If it looks like this Then knock the small roll-pin out and the washers will come out. It's the washers that hold it in place. After that Just unscrew it ( right handed threads) sometimes they could be Left handed threads so be careful.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
L1A1s are right hand threads. As was said, drive out the pin, remove and save the washer(and pin), and unscrew. Also be sure to save the indexing washer inside the FH, or it may be stuck on the muzzle of the barrel. This washer controls how the FH, when tight, indexes. They come in or can be made in different thicknesses.
PM or email me if you need any L1A1 info.

Dave

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elbow .... it looks pretty close to that pic except the slots on the flash hider are alot shorter and more toward the muzzle. The pin appears to be solid. So...just drive it out like a normal pin ?? No drilling required ??

Dave ... Hey, thanks I appreciate it. This will be my first attempt at any serious work with the FAL platform. I'm sure I'll run across something that makes me wonder " ...now how in the hell does that go together...??" :grin:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Yep, just knock out the pin, remove the washer, unscrew FH. Your FH with the short slots is an 'F1' type they used for Jungle fighting.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sounds like you have a PNG flash-hider.
Papua
New
Guinea

L1A1s were sold to PNG by Lithgow Australia. Since the people in PNG are smaller statured, these rifles got "S" stamped short wood buttstocks and this special FH which effectively makes the barrel about 3" shorter when installed VS the std FH.
If you pM or post your ADxxxxxxxx serial number on the lower, I can tell you when it was made and to where it was originally sold/issued.

Dave

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave .. I'll get with my buddy and get some more info. on these. He got 2 of the kits from centerfire and the other one from inter ordnance. No barrels though :evil: , they have been cut up,only stubby pieces of metal with usable parts attached. The lowers seem in decent enough shape, though the forend wood and 2 of the PGs are pretty much trashed. I think after glass bead blasting they may turn out OK. :grin:

I'll try to get the numbers off the lowers as I'm sure he'll be interested in where they came from as much as I am.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Just be glad you were able to get the kits at all. Lithgow recently surplussed 30K L1A1s, and they got melted down due to the UN. All those pristine, many unfired rifles. All the spares, such as at least 10 mags per rifle, slings, cleaning kits, spares, etc..... :evil:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave.... Got those numbers off one of the kits, it's AD6706610. The stock was also stamped with a small "S" on the underside of the stock. I just knocked the pin out of the flash hider and removed the indexing washer .. Is the gas tube retainer sleeve at the back of the gas tube left or right hand thread ??? :grin: Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
How hard are those to build? Can you get receivers for them?

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Everything is RH thread on the L1A1. Only the metric FAL muzzle is LH thread.

I prefer Entreprise L1A1 receivers, have bought 5. They will be making more, get your name on the list. Call and ask for "Lily" and tell her I sent you.
DSA has made them also, but not sure if they have plans for more.

Let me go check your number.

Dave

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Prototype Services said:
Everything is RH thread on the L1A1. Only the metric FAL muzzle is LH thread.

I prefer Entreprise L1A1 receivers, have bought 5. They will be making more, get your name on the list. Call and ask for "Lily" and tell her I sent you.
DSA has made them also, but not sure if they have plans for more.

Let me go check your number.

Dave
Do you have a link for the receivers? Also where do you get a Barrel for one?

Thanks,
Troy

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The "S" if for "short" buttstock, typical for PNG rifles.
That number on the lower tells me it was built in 1967 and one of a block of 5164 rifles sent to the Aussie Army.
It may later have been re-arsenalled and sold to PNG.

FALs are easy to build, but do require a receiver wrench and barrel vise. To time the barrel, L1A1s use a washer of varying thickness between the barrel and receiver. On metric FALs, you have to use a lathe to correct the shoulder or rarely make a shim.
To headspace, once the barrel is timed(and sights are straight), you use different pins, called "locking shoulders", to locate the bolt when it is in-battery.
Tools are not expensive, but it is nice to have a selection of breeching washers and locking shoulders. You can often find someone to swap, or you can buy what you need. There are also quite a few folks around who can build them for a reasonable price.

Dave

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
http://www.entreprise.com/l1a1.htm for the receiver. Call and get on their list.

Surplus barrels still pop-up for sale on various boards. Some of us bought and hoarded them when they were available so we can rebuild or just cherry-pick a barrel. I THINK Green Mountain is making barrels. I know they have for various vendors, not sure if they are available retail.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Prototype Services said:
http://www.entreprise.com/l1a1.htm for the receiver. Call and get on their list.

Surplus barrels still pop-up for sale on various boards. Some of us bought and hoarded them when they were available so we can rebuild or just cherry-pick a barrel. I THINK Green Mountain is making barrels. I know they have for various vendors, not sure if they are available retail.
Where can a body find a set of the pins and locking shoulders available for head spacing btw?

If the Green Mountain barrels are the same ones that I.O. is selling then they are technically incorrect unless something has changed. They threaded the muzzles left hand and there were no keyways cut for the FH (which is just as well).

I found some interesting info about these in this thread
http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/ ... opic=392.0

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Buying the pins from Gunthings is easiest, but they can be found individually at MSC, Enco, etc. Your kit should come with one locking shoulder, and you can buy others or try to swap yours.

Since most FAL kits are metric, I am not surprised GM threaded the muzzles for a metric FH. Easy enough to thread RH and cut the slot for the washer.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you're going to do the build yourself, I recommend the book and dvd's from gunplumber at Arizona Response Systems. DSArms and Gunpartsguy also have lots of FAL parts.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Gunthings was also selling an inch FCG as well (that's what I'm going with) FCG, reciever, piston and ? I'll check out what they want for pins and etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts