AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to have a Romanian parts kit built into a completed rifle and I would like to retain the "used" look on the parts in the kit. I really want that "well used" look to go along with the used wood furniture in the kit. I understand that I will want to have the receiver coated (builder uses KG coating), but is it necessary to have the other parts coated? What about the barrel? I am planning on using a Polish FB Radom hammer forged barrel. The builder says he can coat just the receiver but it would be more expensive to do that.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If it's the older blued kit I'd not gk the receiver. Cold blue it and some scotch Brite will get it loking good and old.
Can't comment on barrel as I have not seen one in person.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
you can tape off the components and trunnion and paint what you want and distress.
if it is earlier black oxide finish you can get the receiver, rivets and barrel done and then do the build, then touch up w/ cold blue if needed.
it is more of pain to do this. probably why they quoted you a higher price.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not familiar with the KG coating. What are the drawbacks to using it?
Not really any drawbacks in general, but the Romanian kits were blued so some like to keep them that way. I rust blued the receiver for my last rommy build after I riveted the trunnions in, then finished the build. Easy process, materials are cheap, just takes some time. You'll have a much easier time making an authentic looking worn finish on a rust or hot blued receiver than you would wearing paint to match worn bluing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not building the rifle myself. Right now I'm leaning towards Troy Sellars (InRange) for the build. He has told me that he uses KG coating on his builds. I just don't want a "new" finish on the gun and I'm trying to find out the best process / method for keeping the worn look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts