AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from my private collection of rare AK-74 optics. This is a true Russian military AK-74M 5,45mm calibrated PKS-01 red dot-black dot combat sight. It was a late 90's prototype involved in the testing of the sight for use by the Russian military. These were never approved for bulk export and only two exist in the US. This optic is the military forefather of the PK-AS civilian sights.

This optic was tested out to 480 meters on the AK-74M during military field trials and found to be 2.5 times more accurate than standard iron sights. It's advanced prismatic lens system provides a startlingly wide and clear 1x "both eyes open" field of view, even at night. Has no irritating border occlusion like most all red dots have due to the simple see-thru nature of their design. Being a red dot-black dot design, this sight can be used without a battery although illumination is helpful in low light and necessary for accurate long range shots made under nighttime conditions. Aiming dot is etched in black but glows red when battery power is applied. Operating system runs on two easy to find "357" tablet cell batteries you can find at any local Wal-Mart.

The sight has 100-500 meter range adjustments in increments of 10x meters, marked 10, 20,30, 40, and 50. Shots under 100 meters, you simply set it to '10" and leave it. Sight is zeroed to 300 meters using the 100 meter index, just like on the standard AK infantry rifle. It is made to be used, in a way, like irons but without the headache of eye strain due to aligning sights. PKS01 uses the same oval rangefinder with central aiming marker (dot) first made popular by PK-07 SV-98 telescopic sniper scope.

Turret is marked only about 1/3 of the way around it's circumference due to the flat trajectory of 5,45 rounds. the rest is blank and cannot be selected due to a gate which stops the rotation at the 500 meters index mark. Sight has a totally different cam thread pitch (finer/flatter) so these markings cannot simply be transferred or retro-fitted to any other version of the PK-AS/PKS-01 types.

This sight is dated 1999 and is marked with the original military designation "PKS-01". Has no civilianized features or names or phrases or other import markings such as "Made In Russia" and so on. Only 2 were brought into the US in 2001 with a crate of other types of scopes, this example being kept in my own private collection since that time. These were from the original 5,45mm pre-production batch of sights developed at Optiko Mechanichesckoye Obyedinenie (Lenigrad Optical & Mechanical Enterprise) in St.Pete, who also developed the PKS07 sniper sight, and were built in Rogachevski. These were built for military trials on the AK-74M platofm, which were conducted in both Chechnya and Daghestan sometime between 1999-2000. The sight had already been officially adopted for use on the 9x39mm 9A91 and VSS rifles but were eventually found to be too expensive for general issue by the Army on the AK-74M. They were, howver, very accurate and fast on acquisition out to the maximum effective range of the firearm. in the end, only a few small batches were ever delivered to military end users for 5,45mm caliber weapons. Notably, units of the Interior Ministry (OMSDON) according to what I was told by engineers at Rogachevski zavod Diaprojektor in the early 2000's. This is where the PKS series contract sights were originally assembled (the ones sold elsewhere as "5,45 sights" were actually 9x39mm versions, which were placed into series production which lasted over a period of years).

WITHDRAWN! $875 plus shipping. I hate to let it go but my financial situation compels me to do so. It is likely to be the only chance you will ever have to own one, so if you think you'd like to have it just send me a PM and lets talk. I will ship it promptly packed with manual, early VSR camo military cotton web cover (not the civy woodland nylon cover), and the special zero adjustment wrenchl.

All board regulations apply. First "I'll Take It" rules. Goes out Priority Mail shipping within CONUS. Payment by USPS money order or possibly a very discreet electronic payment +4% within 5 days of close of sale. No shipments to international locations. Ships out of Texas.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: FS: Rare Russian military AK-74M TRUE 5,45mm PKS-01 REDU

REDUCED to $875 plus $12 shipping. Uhg!

WITHDRAWN

1 - 2 of 2 Posts