AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting somewhat cold out at 8oF and my current gloves aren't sufficient for shooting in that temperature. Anyone have any recommendations for cold weather (sub freezing) gloves/mittens that work well for shooting pistols and rifles. I was thinking of some sort of flip-mitten might work that would fit over my existing gloves, but figured someone else may have some good suggestions.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
yea got the same problem.

1)mittens will always work better compared to gloves, which separate each finger and loose heat faster.
2)mittens don't always work as they are large and not always "helpful"

what I found was you need to create a "layer" just as you do with clothing, especially if you are like me and spends a whole day at the frozen range. What I do that works really well is get yourself a pair WELL made wool gloves. I use Al Paca wool, which is superior to regular wool. after you put them on, use your standard 40 gram Thinsulate PUFFY winter gloves that (1) size larger than your hands.

if you make a tight fit, you will restrict blood circulation in your capillaries, and will get cold even faster. By having an additional space between your thin wool gloves and your regular winter gloves that provide wind and water barrier you will retain more heat in your extremities.
The only thing to look out for is whether your new "fingers" will be able to clear the trigger guard on your rifle/pistil. Mine are good to go.

good luck

·
Super Moderator
25,782 Posts
I have 2 types of mittens for cold weather use...USGI standard trigger finger mittens, and USGI extreme cold issue mittens. Bother are excellent, but the extreme cold mittens do NOT have a separate trigger finger. To rectify this problem, I had my wife at the time (ex now) knit a pair if wool trigger finger mittens to wear under the extreme cold ones, and they worked great. The last time I used these was deer hunting when the temp was in the low teens...my hands were toasty warm the entire time I was out there.

A trick I used when I was in the service with the regular issue mittens was to take a pair of wool liners, and cut the tips off of the the thumb, index and middle finger, then put the wool mittens on, then add the shells. If I needed some dexterity, it was easy to remove the mittens and still have most of my hand protected.

Like voron mentioned, try and get wool liners as this is the best insulator, especially when wet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In my opinion a wool glove inside a mitten is your best bet. When I hunt in cold weather I wear mittens connected with a string with a wool glove as a liner. I also cut the trigger finger off the liner glove. I can slowly slip my hand out of the mitten and allow the mitten to hang on the string then move my hand onto the rifle to shoot. This may not be the best solution for target shooting but it has always worked for me when hunting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Spent a bit of time looking around to see what offerings are available and there are a few different options after taking in consideration what was said above:
There's the USGI standard trigger finger mittens (as Joemamma mentioned) and as reviewed in this
I'm going to try a similar combination:
over mitten
mitten liner
$8.89 for the over mitts plus two sets of the wool mittens. They have a free shipping special until the 18th, which makes this the best deal I could find, other than the 15 pairs for $20 deal at sportsmans guide (I don't need that many).
These may be good too, similar setup as above but with modern materials for $35. Looks like a very good deal, they're significantly less than any comparable commercial offering I've seen, even the civilian version which is $85. There's a
by someone who bought an XL pair at some point last year for ~$20-30. May end up getting these if the other setup doesn't work but I'm hesitant because they could melt and not hold up as well as leather and canvas. I have similar looking expensive yupie ski gloves with primaloft that aren't holding up to well in the grip area but might be good warmth wise if used with the recommended alpaca gloves.

·
Super Moderator
25,782 Posts
Good price on those surplus shells and liners, you almost can't go wrong there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After trying out this liner/mitt combination a few times it seems to work pretty well after modifications. I had to shorten the length of the mitt and trigger finger about 0.25 to 0.5" to make them fit to the ends of my fingers and remove the elastic located at the end of the gantlet (I reinforced the stitching in this area and ran paracord through it for a lanyard attachment point, may also put a slider on it). The USGI mitt liners have an oversized mitt and I had to remove a portion near the finger, Swiss trigger-finger mittens would have been better but the place I ordered from didn't have them. My small framed pistol (9mm/40S&W grip) in the picture allows me to reach the thumb release and feels a bit better in my hand than my other large frame pistol (.45/10mm grip).

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts