AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been an enthusiast of Romanian parts, and I would prefer not to use a US made barrel for my 68 Tula kit. Does anyone have an educated guess as to when we might receiver virgin barrels from Bulgaria, Poland, or any of the other Eastern states that make high-quality hammer-forged barrels? I've been putting off a build for a very long time, knowing that as soon as I get it put together we'll be up to our armpits in nice Bulgarian steel.

·
Technical Advisor
15,526 Posts
Re: Will we ever get Bulgarian/Polish/anywhere import barrel

Based on what we have seen so far in the last 8 years of the barrel ban. Never gonna see any. Buy the Romy.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts

Bulgarians- Kvar monopoly (IIRC, Kvar actually owns a piece of Arsenal of BG)

Polish- No longer produce AK barrels; Works 11 bought out what was left at Radom, and I am sure that Radom could produce them... BUT the Poles always seem to outprice everything....... There is a reason that the Beryls are the first Polish AK sporter ever sold in the USA.....

DDR-Factory is gone.

Hungarian- Factory is gone

Doesnt leave much else.....

·
Registered
4,327 Posts

go with the romy barrel man, no issues with those.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Stottman said:

Polish- No longer produce AK barrels; Works 11 bought out what was left at Radom, and I am sure that Radom could produce them... BUT the Poles always seem to outprice everything....... There is a reason that the Beryls are the first Polish AK sporter ever sold in the USA.....

DDR-Factory is gone.

Mmmyep. That all makes sense. I didn't realize that KVAR and Arsenal had a connection, so I suppose that price ain't gunna change.

I guess when the time comes, I'll probably roll out the big bucks for a KVAR Bulgie barrel for the Tula, and probably stick a Romy on the other kits. I was just hoping to see them in larger numbers and cheaper prices.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts

Mr. Scratch said:
Stottman said:

DDR-Factory is gone.

Mmmyep. That all makes sense. I didn't realize that KVAR and Arsenal had a connection, so I suppose that price ain't gunna change.

I guess when the time comes, I'll probably roll out the big bucks for a KVAR Bulgie barrel for the Tula, and probably stick a Romy on the other kits. I was just hoping to see them in larger numbers and cheaper prices.
Well thats the other thing; The Bulgarians have never really made an AKM. Only AK47 and Ak74. The barrels are different........

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Stottman said:
Well thats the other thing; The Bulgarians have never really made an AKM. Only AK47 and Ak74. The barrels are different........

eh? What about the SLR-107? I thought for sure those were stamped receivers. Wouldn't their barrels fit a Russian kit?

·
Registered
10,183 Posts

Mr. Scratch said:
Stottman said:

eh? What about the SLR-107? I thought for sure those were stamped receivers. Wouldn't their barrels fit a Russian kit?
Not the same. The SLR107 is more of an AK74 in 7.62x39 then an actual AKM.

The profile MAY be be slightly off, but the biggest issue is that the gas port is 90 degrees vs 45.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

I always thought of the SLR series as a 100 series AK mutts.

·
Registered
890 Posts

As I recall, APEX said they got their Romanian barrels over 3 years ago, haven't seen any since then, and don't expect to get any more.

So it seems very likely that when they're gone, they're gone. Some might show up on the secondary market or a small quantity of NOS ones might turn up somewhere, but for anyone planning a build it might be prudent to pick 1 or 2 of these up and put them away, just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts