AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Polish AKM kit from AK-builder with the new barrel already populated and headspaced. Took it out last night, took the firing pin out of the bolt and threw a NO-Go gauge in, didn't close up. Put a GO gauge in, didn't fully lock. Put it in the bolt carrier, same results. Put some live rounds in, about 9/10 of them closed. I'm hoping they weren't in a rush to ship and drilled my barrel wrong before shipping. Does this sound like it might be a problem when building?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
What kind of headspace gauges are you using? I have the Clymer and I've been informed that the go gauge shouldn't quite lock up due to differing specs in the cartridge dimensions. I have never had a problem seating a round though. Does it fully seat if you pull the carrier back and let it slam home?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manson, same ones AK-Builder sells, so I'm assuming they use them too. With the go guage it won't seat fully with the bolt in the carrier, out of about 10 times I tried doing that it only fully seated once. Yet with the live rounds fully seated almost every time.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
The gauges should set the headspace a little roomy for the differences in all the military cartridges just like most military rifles, but if its those gauges, it should be closing on the go all the way. I would contact Curtis or get a bigger barrel pin and reset the head space and ream the pin hole to fit.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Bought a Polish AKM kit from AK-builder with the new barrel already populated and headspaced. Took it out last night, took the firing pin out of the bolt and threw a NO-Go gauge in, didn't close up. Put a GO gauge in, didn't fully lock. Put it in the bolt carrier, same results. Put some live rounds in, about 9/10 of them closed. I'm hoping they weren't in a rush to ship and drilled my barrel wrong before shipping. Does this sound like it might be a problem when building?
And extractor?

It should close 95~100% on a new round. Mine did just that. No slamming it shut, just a firm push. Take a look w/o a case or gauge. When the block on the bolt turns and hits the carrier, it cannot close any more. It should be very, very close to there on a round. My AK-Builder Polish was like that and it shot just fine today. There are variances on casings.

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts