AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, this is a common caliber in this country and has been for a very, very long time. Shouldn't production of .30-06 have been running at a high level all the time? Why, then, is it so pricey? What am I missing?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Because its not used by anyone really. For instance, I have a 3006 rifle. I shoot it twice a year. You dont count. The cheapest calibers tend to be those that are also used by Fed/Gov/LEO. Or of cource cheaper imports. If you look at whats the cheapest its usually 9/40/45/7.62x51/5.56.........All are used by some type of Gov agency. There is Greek surplus but like all surplus it will run out and Im sure its running out already

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
I mean, this is a common caliber in this country and has been for a very, very long time. Shouldn't production of .30-06 have been running at a high level all the time? Why, then, is it so pricey? What am I missing?
It fell out of favor and .223 took it's place. I like and shoot 30.06 and buy from Sportsman Guide when available. Still over-priced from panic as are several more calibers...and .22lr is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Most of the US 30-06 surplus is gone and I don't believe the US gov't has made 30-06 since the late 60s/early 70s. The CMP Greek ammunition is your best bet though the latest Prvi 30-06 for M1s goes for about $0.68. I bought a can just to have some standard copper jacket 30-06 around without dipping into my partial can of clipped M72.

Side note: sometimes the Greek surplus isn't always Greek. I have a can of clipped 30-06 that was US made but sold by the CMP as Greek. Headstamps are mostly RA in the mid 50s.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Stottman's right, it's running the same as .303 and 8 mm Mauser. GB auction has it for $1/round... or more.

Looks like my interest in Old School MilSurps has been crushed.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Looks like my interest in Old School MilSurps has been crushed.
When you miss the boat by decades you just have to move on. As much as I'd like a Garand, it'd be more useful hanging on a wall than it would ever get shot with the price of ammunition for it.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well-stated, and I agree.

Right now I'm in 5.56, 5.45, 7.62 x 39, and 7.62 x 54R. 5.45 is affordable (for the moment), and x39 is ok. 5.56 is coming back down.

Only have 1 Mosin now, wondering if I should sell it before 54R surplus dries up, or keep stackin'...

When you miss the boat by decades you just have to move on. As much as I'd like a Garand, it'd be more useful hanging on a wall than it would ever get shot with the price of ammunition for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts