AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many threads similar to this, but I don't recall any that asks you "why do stick to the AK when there are other weapons more accurate?"

Or..."What do you dislike about the AK even though you're addicted to it?"

I'd have to say that I'm one of those people that doesn't like to clean guns but about every five or six times I shoot it. I can easily put 500+ rounds through an AK and it won't miss a beat.

Reliability is king in my book. I've participated in 3-gun and tactical carbine matches where I've watched the other participants laugh at the people with AK's. At the end of the matches, when at least two to three AR-15's have brought the match to a complete halt because of jamming issues, those of us with AK's have ended up being the ones laughing.

I'd say I stick with the AK because of reliability. I know that I know that I know that the gun will work even if it's been rained on, dropped, dragged through the muck, and not cleaned.

What do I dislike?

No matter how tightly fitted an AK is, the gun just rattles like an old pickup truck after a few hundred rounds. I have obsessively hand-fitted receiver covers, gas tubes, compensators, buttstocks, forearms, etc.

One day I just said, "Fuck it."

I've accepted the looseness of the AK ever since.

·
Registered
100 Posts
"why do stick to the AK when there are other weapons more accurate?"

Sure an AR is more MOA acurate, but past the competency of most shooters, I personally can hit a human size target no problem at 300 yards or better, and that's good enough for any "intermediate" cartridge to me.

Or..."What do you dislike about the AK even though you're addicted to it?"

Simply the ergonomics, I'm a lefty, and that's not the rifles fault. I do like to swap out pistolgrips, stocks, and handguards on the shooter guns to help me shoot them better, and it works.

This could go on and on, but it all comes down to what each person as an individual chooses. I choose to keep a rifle that WORKS.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I am one who said I would NEVER own an AK after having been shot by one. I got over it finally. Son said he wanted one so I bought it for him. After having shot his and a couple others I bought a few more for the wife and daughter.

Right now I 'think' we are up to around 14 or 15 different ones. I don't count them, I just shoot them.

It has been said they are 'soldier' proof. I say they are better than that as they are WIFE AND DAUGHTER Proof! I wish I could say that about the AR's I have bought them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I can afford to own a few instead of just one.

I can change, upgrade, and accesserize without being a gunsmith.

Ammo used to be cheap.

Because in the 90's I could not.

If the parachuts come, I can yell wolverines. :neutral:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I love AK's because they're the only rifle that hasn't been f**ked with by the modernizations that other companies are putting other rifles through.

Plus, it's possible to find quality in AK's. Where's its been lacking in other rifles that are currently avalilable on the market.

Mags are easy to find and cheap. The ammo used to be cheap but still is, when comparing to the other calibers.

Despite others' complaints of AK's not being ergonomic. I find how the controls and feel of the AK is just right for me. Everything is made how it is for a reason.

All the different countries making their own variations of the AK. It's possible to have a collection without having one exactly the same as the other. Each one has it's own character.

It's fun to shoot AK's, fun to learn about them, and it's fun to have a great website like this where we all can join and enjoy the rifle that we all love. :smile:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Was never a huge fan of the original 47 or AKM but fell in love with the 74 (although there's very little difference). I love the 5.45 round and the look of the 74, and the feel of shooting one. That's why I like it so much. :mrgreen:

but ergos are kind of a downer only because I was a big AR guy/builder for a few years. I thought the AR was God's gift to the gun world. It may be, but I got bored with them after a while, and rarely had one that I didn't intentionally abuse with lack of cleaning, and getting it dirty, and they eventually failed to fire. :neutral:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I love the feeling that when I pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang it's because the magazine is empty. I don't even have to look. It's just so simple and I like the 7.62x39 round.

I talked to a Marine the other day. He said when all the platoons including his landed in Vietnam, the first thing they did was try to get an AK. He said the M16s were crap, and even the M14s because they were heavy and would rust shut. The AKs kept on firing no matter what and had a 30rd mag instead of 20 like the M14 and 16. They would just fire them on simi because they didn't want to carry the ammo for it and they just didn't see a need to use full auto.

My co-worker took a 7.62x39 to the head in Vietnam. He has a scar right above his left eye and a golfball sized dimple on the top back of his head. The last thing he remembered was looking up at the tree line and seeing a red streak go across in front of his face. He was out for about 4-6 hours and woke up on the plane back to the US. He didn't even know he had been shot. He was up and walking around and helping to unload patients until the pilot told him he had been shot and needed to go inside. He never had any pain from it and never had any side effects. No surgery or anything. They just gave him some pain meds and sent him home.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm very new to AKs, being an AR guy, but I would have to say I don't like the ergos...The stock is a bit short for me. On the other hand, I, as others have already said, love the reliabilty, go to gun factor of the AK. I'm becoming a real convert I suppose. I plan to buy another as soon as I can sell one of my other black rifles! Hope I get lucky soon with that :smile:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Reliablity, simplicity, and I've learned to work with the ergonomics so that they aren't as much of a handicap as most AR guys think.

It's the shooter, not the rifle. Train with and use what you have and just get good with it, whether it's an AR or an AK or whatever.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I like them because the AR guys hate them...

It's good to go against the grain sometimes... :cool:

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Black Rifles are my first love. They are familiar, practical and we have a great relationship.

AKs are an exotic mistress I know I shouldn't be with, yet I keep going back to... :twisted:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well........I got tired of the Aimpoint vs Eotech debate.

Then I got tired of the ACOG vs any other scope debate.

Then I got tired of the Tango Down Vertical Foregrip vs the First Samco Grip debate.

Then I got tired of the A1, A2, vs A3 debate.

Then I got really tired of the Colt, Bushy. vs RRA debate.

Then I got really, really tired of any debating at all......which is why I don't talk much on boards anymore.

I finally decided I was too tired to go shooting after all of that.....and didn't for a long time.

Eventually, I quietly asked around (thank you, Campy)..........and bought a Poly-Tech AKS. The only thing that gun needed was cheap mags and even cheaper ammo.

I have been an AK guy even since.

Thank Heaven for this board. There isn't even an AR section. Hallelujia!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like/dislike for all the above reasons. I just recently came over to the darkside after years of being a gun snob and always sticking up for the AR system no matter if I was right or wrong. Now after owning BOTH, I can love them equally but for different reasons. :grin:

I am glad that I was lucky enough to get a really good deal on a quality version of the AK (Poly Legend).

Furthermore I really like this Forum better than the others (no names mentioned) because of the lack of flaming, the lack of snobbery, and the great amount of selfless help from everyone so far. :hail:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts