AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why Bulgarian, especially Arsenal?

I am still debating on searching for a milled sam-7 carbine, or an SLR 107 FR, or CR. All I want to know is besides their looks, or value as an investment/collectors item, why Arsenal/Bulgarian AK47/AKMs?

I want an AK style rifle to take to training classes, and for SHTF, and I know that it doesn't matter between stamped and milled although I do want a rifle that's as light as possible. Any help would be appreciated especially from the likes of people like Templar who use AKs/AKMs for carbine classed, and has many different variants.

Any help from any of you is appreciated. I am about to spend some serious money on a rifle and I want to know that I am getting the best my money can afford. Personally I think Valmets/Galils are the best variants do to the improved sights, and trigger, plus shaving a bit of weight off their receivers, but a real one in 7.62x39 will break the bank. I don't want a clone, and from what I hear, and read the Arsenals are supposed to be 100% Bulgarian (receiver, internals, please correct me if I'm wrong. I am not counting the mandatory USA parts).

Again thanks for the help, and sorry for the confusion. I know that newbie style posts like this one must get irritating but check my sig.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Bulgaria makes great AKs. Arsenal happens to be the only way to get a "factory" one today. Kit built Bulgarians can be just as good but that depends on who did the build.

If you get the opportunity to handle a few Arsenals, compare them to other AKs and it will be readily apparent why so many people like them. They do have a few issues. The finishes look good, but aren't very durable. And there have been some issues with the SLR107s. But most of the Arsenals out there are really top notch.

Here's mine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice! I know the canted sight thing has been an issue, as well as paint, and polymer butt stocks, but what about reliability. Have you seen, or know of anyone with reliability issues concerning the SLR 107 series?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Primarily the issues noted with those guns have been finish problems, canted sights, and misdrilled barrels (bore not drilled centered in the barrel). There may have been other issues but that's all I remember at this time. I don't believe any of their other models had these kinds of problems. And most of the SLR-107s with problems should have been sorted out by now. Arsenal is warrantying them but requiring people to pay shipping to fix them the last I knew.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in FL (thank God) so I can do pretty much what I want with it. I love the CR but if I was going to SBR route I would go with the UR. I wish they had a 5.45 model available but 7.62 shouldn't bite that much harder?!? Or should it?

Any ways I know one of the members here has a CR that he had SBRd at AK103, and he put on that "krink style"? muzzle break. it looks pretty sweet.

So the 107 FR is what I want huh? Where is the best online source to grab one. All the ones at my local shop are 1000+. For that money I might as well buy an SAM-7 on gun broker.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I paid $900.00 each for both my 107FR's, and that didn't include tax. There's some on GUNBROKER, and there may be some on AUCTIONARMS as well.

Nah, the 107UR doesn't recoil all that much.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lionhart said:
I paid $900.00 each for both my 107FR's, and that didn't include tax. There's some on GUNBROKER, and there may be some on AUCTIONARMS as well.

Nah, the 107UR doesn't recoil all that much.
You've shot one? SBRd? Compared to a full sized rifle what does it feel like? I'm sure some extra muzzle lift?!? How are follow up shots? Double taps, triple taps?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes. I bought a 107UR when they first came out, and I tried out a KREBS YUGO style Krink pistol too. I didn't feel any difference in recoil compared to any other AK. Actually, with the metal folder on the 107UR, it felt better VS the polymer one. As far as the pistol model, it was the same. Follow up shot's I feel is better with the triangle stock, but that's just my opinion. It makes for a very nice purchase against the shoulder.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
JMT, the milled Arsenal rifles are some of the smoothest and best built AK's I've had in my hands, period.

The stamped rifles that they've put out all have had some initial teething problems, which do get worked out. Some 105's had slappy triggers when they came out, some 106's had some feeding issues, and some of the first 107FR's that came out had improper front sight blocks which made them impossible to zero. Those issues have been taken care of.

If I were looking for another AK, especially one to use in a class and as a serious "go-to" rifle, I'd pick up a 107F or FR, install an Ultimak gas tube, an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1, a Surefire G2 with a Vltor mount, and either the NEW Krebs enhanced safety or a Blackjack SWIFT lever, and a Blue Force Gear Vickers sling.

Basically, the .30 cal version of my 106....

To get back to your original question.......the Bulgarian factory rifles are just very high quality, and the level of crafsmanship is really high compared to most of the factory AK's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Templar, that AK is very practical. Sweet setup, everything an AK needs and nothing it doesn't.

To the OP, I have several 107FR's from Arsenal and a 103 style build from a numbers-matching Romy kit done by highly respected maker. The quality of Arsenal AKs exceeds my other AK in almost every way. The run great with no problems. Build quality is very high with no wiggles, rattles, or other such nonsense. Yes I did get burned by the sight problem Templar mentioned but those rifles were some of the first ones that shipped. Arsenal fixed them promptly and now they are the AKs I judge all others by.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it. I"ll take your advices on the 107 FRs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts