AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am kinda confused with bakelite mags, i dont have any, i want some but i dont have the money right now and there are more important things to pay for now....but why are they called bakelites? is the finish "baked" into the mag? are they a plastic polymer or are they metal?? and they come in 5.45 and 7.62 right?? or is it just 5.45?

sorry for the newb questions..i just have never handled or even seen a bakelite in my area......

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
IIRC,30's and 40's in both calibers."bakelite" is the material, though it is heated in the manufacturing process the name is derived from the inventors name.Google Bakelite and find more than you ever wanted to know.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, thanks for the info man!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
pupwag said:
IIRC,30's and 40's in both calibers."bakelite" is the material, though it is heated in the manufacturing process the name is derived from the inventors name.Google Bakelite and find more than you ever wanted to know.
45 rounds in 5.45x39.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The material used to build the mags,pistol grips and stocks is called AG-4.
We refer to all of these parts as being "bakelite" because of the general similarties. Although similar in appearance,AG-4 is more durable than the brittle bakelite. Unknown to most over here,Arsenic is an ingrediant in the construction in AG-4.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Yeah, more than I wanted to know.

"polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride"

I tried to pronounce this, and someone called a priest on me, where I then vomited pea soup on him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts