AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, why? Are there different parts in them? If so what ones. Can I bring my wasr-1 up to speed like a Romy G?

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Romanian Guards rifles are the rifles that passed all military QC checks.

WASRs are made from the parts that didn't pass military grade QC.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
my '72 was a non G kit

as for WASR vs Romy G I've seen both really nice and really horrible examples of both, and like Hootbro said the WASRs aren't always made with non-QC passing parts. They'll take what they can get their hands on.

If your WASR doesn't have canted sights, functions well, and shoots straight don't worry about it, it's an AK either way.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Romy AK's

There is NO quality control in Romania, there is no such thing, not in the sense we would expect out of the cheapest manufacturers here in the U.S. There is absolutely no proof that they are made from reject parts. I can just see the factory workers "who weren't being paid" practicing top of the line QC during the 70's and 80's :lol: If anything you are getting a new rifle, some built from old rifle parts some with new. It was a $300 rifle when I started buying them. They all shoot like an AK. Bang, Bang, Bang. 1 minute of man, JMHO.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If you go to AKfiles.com and read some of dstorm1911's threads on this subject, you may have a different view. He apparently has an uncle or some kind of relation that worked in the Romanian arms industry. According to him, WASR's are made from rejected parts. There is a milspec standard but this was relaxed somewhat after 1981. According to what I read in some of his threads, there was a coup during that time in which most of the skilled, old world gunmakers in the arsenals were either jailed or executed. This is supposed to account for the quality differences between the pre-81 Romy G's and the later ones. It makes for some interesting reading. Don't take my word for it, just go over there and do a little research. I'm not saying any of this is fact, but this guy does seem to know his shit on the Romanian arms industry.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why are Romy Gs better than wasr or sars?
The WASR and the SAR series of Romanian AK rifles are two totally different classes of rifle.

The SAR (Semi Auto Rifle) series of guns were once the flagship Romanian rifle series until importation ceased in late 2003 and early 2004. These rifles are as close as possible to a general issue eastern block AKM. They are so close in fact that the stampings to drill the third sear hole are even on the receiver.

The SAR series came in three “flavors”: the SAR-1 (7.62X39), SAR-2 (5.45X39), and SAR-3 (5.56X45). All three series were imported from 1999-2004.

Getting a straight answer on why the SAR series ceased importation is hard to come by, most believe that Century Arms and CUGIR could not come to an agreement on price. The other and more probable reason is that the BATF gave Century Arms a “Cease and Desist Order” on SAR importation because when they came in they were not 992r compliant from the start.

On entry into the U.S., Century swapped out the fire control group, the pistol grip, and the gas piston to keep the rifle within the letter (five U.S. parts) of the sporting purpose clause of the 1968 Gun Control Act. If the muzzle is threaded, the required number of 922r compliance parts increases to six. The requirement is easily met by just screwing on a U.S. made muzzle device.

The SAR series were set up from the factory (CUGIR) to use standard AK mags. All other AK variants imported into the U.S. were commercial rifles made for the consumer market. All of the SAR series have (unless modified after importation) true AKM receivers with the dimple over the mag well.

For more complete information, go to:
www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
dglockster said:
Why are Romy Gs better than wasr or sars?
The WASR and the SAR series of Romanian AK rifles are two totally different classes of rifle.

The SAR (Semi Auto Rifle) series of guns were once the flagship Romanian rifle series until importation ceased in late 2003 and early 2004. These rifles are as close as possible to a general issue eastern block AKM. They are so close in fact that the stampings to drill the third sear hole are even on the receiver.
All my WASR's have the no no stamp.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
All the Romanian ones (SAR's, WASR's, etc.) will have the "Y" indention. But sadly rifles such as the newer imported Romanian underfolders lack the dimples. :sad:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Hmm

I will be taking that read with a BIG grain of salt!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Re: Hmm

jdub said:
I will be taking that read with a BIG grain of salt!
Still, an interesting read. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but still great material for discussion.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I have a friend that has over 10,000 Rd's thew a WASR 10/63 that Rifle, to this day it has not ever failed to feed any type of 7.62x39 Ammo.

Don't get me wrong the G's are nice but a AK is a AK is a AK dimples or not it's sill a Kalashnikov.

So if you are a shooter it shouldn't matter, if your a collector that's a different story, I do both collect & shoot. :animak:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I went to a Gun Show and listened to a vendor badmouth SARs & WASRs
purity much the same way He was selling (G) built rifles.

Just a bunch of Sweet Talk from a Gun Whore trying to make a sell anyway he can.

He said the WASR was not the real deal and it would not last as long as one of his guns would.

It was Ebanks at the Tucson,AZ Gun Show he even said that the scope rail on the WASR was never used on a real Military AK, and his was the closest thing to the real deal I could find. :puke:

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Alfred said:
It was Ebanks at the Tucson,AZ Gun Show he even said that the scope rail on the WASR was never used on a real Military AK, and his was the closest thing to the real deal I could find. :puke:
There ain't enough vomit pukeys to accurately cover that . . . .

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alfred said:
I went to a Gun Show and listened to a vendor badmouth SARs & WASRs
purity much the same way He was selling (G) built rifles.

Just a bunch of Sweet Talk from a Gun Whore trying to make a sell anyway he can.

He said the WASR was not the real deal and it would not last as long as one of his guns would.

I get that all the time going to the local gun show. Its so bad that I don't go anymore.

I always wondered if the "real" militarys around the world use the scope mounts.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Cugir

When did Cugir start letting people check out there facilities? Hell the citizens of Romania are still being told they only make bicycles, sewing machines and washing machines. There is just too much guessing and contradictory information on the WASR's and SAR rifles to say they are made of reject parts. I read that thread from the files and it just contraindicates everything I know about Romania under the communist gov. and now. The only reason I am even bold enough to make that statement is b/c my mother in law lives in Romania. I go there often and have a few friends that were in the military there. Let me also tell you that they never gave 2 shits about there AK or how well it was assembled! I am just going to enjoy my $300 Romy AK's :smile:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts