AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stocked up on 7.62x25 surplus about 6 years ago and have been steadily eating away at it ever since. well now im down to just two bulgy cans (1600 rnds) and I decided it might be time for some more. but checking gunbroker the cheapest ammo I can find is freaking $0.40 per shot! I can get 9mm for substantially cheaper then that... since when did 7.62 TOK become so dang expensive?

when I bought my stash I paid $640 for 4 wood crates of bulgy surplus and that included shipping. the surplus was all mid 50s dated and is great ammo that hasn't had a single failure in all 4800 rounds fired from Tokarev pistols of various makes. despite how nice this ammo is, I just cant justify paying $0.40 per shot for the stuff. maybe its time to buy one of those Zastava 9mm M70A pistols, they look like Tokarevs but I wonder if they are as reliable or as fun to shoot as a Tok.

-matt

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you do get a 9mm Tok, let us know how it is.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yeah, I learned that the hard way when I picked up a Yugo M57 earlier this year. I was wondering why the seller was so willing to deal on the price, now I know it's because the price of ammo has gone through the roof!

Unfortunately, it means that pistol has joined the ranks of other guns I don't shoot too often due to the scarcity/expense of ammo (such as my Webleys, Nagants, etc.)...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd been looking at the 7.62x25 SMG semi pistols thinking about Stocked Pistol or SBR. Then I looked at what the formerly "cheap" ammo was going for. I can see why the SMG "pistols" are selling so cheap.

·
Registered
696 Posts
7.62x25 cheap surplus dried up at least 2 years ago... shame really, but not un-expected. Happens to ALL rounds that are no longer used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last fall (before the panic), I talked my dad into picking up a Romanian Tokarev. I found a local guy with 915 rounds in an open Spam can for either $50 or 75, I can't recall. It's Romanian manufacture ammo, stamped 1985.
But he got the gun, three mags & the ammo for about $300. It was his first venture into combloc small arms, but he loves it. Shot about 100 rounds through it. I really wish another load of surplus would come in, he'd likely buy a case. Or me, I enjoy it as well haha.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have two Toks and years ago bought a lot of the then available Chicom non corrosive 7.62x25. Now that its running out I have added the round to my reloading list of cartridges. Privi makes brass and bullets are available from Hornady and Privi. Not as easy as milsurp but at least I can keep shooting them from time to time. The cost is on average with my 38's and 9mm's.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Last fall (before the panic), I talked my dad into picking up a Romanian Tokarev. I found a local guy with 915 rounds in an open Spam can for either $50 or 75, I can't recall. It's Romanian manufacture ammo, stamped 1985.
But he got the gun, three mags & the ammo for about $300. It was his first venture into combloc small arms, but he loves it. Shot about 100 rounds through it. I really wish another load of surplus would come in, he'd likely buy a case. Or me, I enjoy it as well haha.
It's out there, but at a higher price. At least Clearview gives quantity options making it less painful.

Clearview Investments, Inc.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I also just started reloading and casting bullets for it. Unfortunately, I loose a lot of brass because it ejects it into the next county. Lucky my range added brass screens so that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts